PDA

View Full Version : So what have you been up to for the past week?

Tony
11-09-2009, 14:42
I've been wondering what you've all been up to the last week so feel free to let us know :D

It's been an interesting week for me and the site, we had the DDOS attacks and that lead to a server move and a glitch in some software that took ages for the company to resolve and then we moved to a different server and had another issue so some guys got well and truly stuck in and overcame all the issues and we're back :D

So my week has been spent working on, worrying about, wondering when and what IFing about the site. All over now though :D

Sorry for the down time guys ;)

So, what did you lot get up to?

korvin karbon
11-09-2009, 14:46
sitting in a corner and telling myself that the forum will be back soon, over and over again :p

durulz
11-09-2009, 14:48
I bought myself a new mountain bike with sod-off massive tyres.
It looks dead sexy.
It could twang knicker elastic from 50 paces.

Shewie
11-09-2009, 15:00
Catching up with bloggs over on SOTP, having a laugh with the BCL crew and even found BushcraftUSA.com :)

Good to see we're back again though

Goatboy
11-09-2009, 15:01
Hey Tony,

Wow am I glad that you got it all resolved:D
Been checking back, tried to send some words of encouragement but it got bounced back and generally having to work too hard. Just watched Alone in the wilderness which a fantastic member dropped into me at work ( SOOO worth watching ), was out early doors this morning with the mutt, collecting tinder and generally trying to avoid cleaning out my gutters. Though the said mutt is refusing to use the main door during rain as there is a waterfall there.

It's been a bumper week of early Ceps and slippery jacks here around the village, bags of them, my mate is going mental trying to dry them. Me I've been eating them with eggs or some of the lovely trout I got as a prezzie. And I even managed to make my neighbors French boyfriend extremely happy with a prezzie of a bag of freshly picked ones. He was tickled pink, he's over visiting at the moment and didn't think wee Brits went in for that sort of thing.

Glad you've got it all sorted and welcome back.

Colin.

slammer187
11-09-2009, 15:01
I just went on to BCUK and sat there all day staring at the error page for a few days trying to fill the void :-) and then I went sailing!

Mastino
11-09-2009, 15:02
Dear Tony,

Thanks & respect for the job you did.

When will Lofty Wiseman publish the SAS Survival Guide for the Internet?:D

topknot
11-09-2009, 15:05
Hi, Made this Possible pouch up out of boredom for something to do.
Nice to be back.: You_Rock_

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7615/img1512c.jpg

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9310/img1514z.jpg

Cheers Topknot

Shewie
11-09-2009, 15:09
Hi, Made this Possible pouch up out of boredom for something to do.
Nice to be back.: You_Rock_

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7615/img1512c.jpg

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9310/img1514z.jpg

Cheers Topknot

Cracking job Topknot

I managed to do a bit of sanding on the skirting boards but that was about as far as my craftsmanship went this week.

sapper1
11-09-2009, 15:10
Since last friday I spent the weekend in herefordshire at the SWB site and had a great time as usual.On tuesday I bought a new dog for the kids(me) pictures to follow soon.Then I spent the rest of this week securing the garden to keep the dog in,and the cats out.
Good to see you back Tony.

g4ghb
11-09-2009, 15:13
experiencing the shakes and palpitations! - it's not nice going cold turkey.....:eek:

SO GOOD to see you all again!!!! :grouphug: i've missed you!

....and a HUGE thanks to all those 'back room boys' - I know you have been working VERY hard behind the scenes!!!! :You_Rock_

FGYT
11-09-2009, 15:16
got to redo my garage and fit some Extraction and space for new toys

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o109/FGYT/Workshop.jpg

decided to start pimping my MOD knife after seeing Spamels mates mariner version
so far we have
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o109/FGYT/Sharps/MODmod4.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o109/FGYT/Sharps/MODmod3.jpg

now for a nice handle and sheath

Oh and have found a Hip flask that might be up to teh job and last eh weekend

http://www.growlerflask.co.uk/wassail.asp

ATB

Duncan

Walks with dogs
11-09-2009, 15:26
Rocked back and forth making moany noises.

Made fire.

Spent too much on kit I don't need.

John Fenna
11-09-2009, 15:27
Going through withdrawal symptoms!
I did manage to forge some steels for flint and steel work (no photos yet) put a handle on a blade I had from Pignut and make a sheath for it.
And I collected loads of Blackberries for making Blackberry Vodka, BBJelly and Crumbles....
And I was away for the W/E with the SWB mob (though due to having "Tennis Elbow and a dodgy knee I could not join in the fun much)
And I got a few reviews written for the magazines.....but that is work....

By eck - it is good to be back on the site!
Thanks for all your hard work:You_Rock_

Nightwalker
11-09-2009, 15:35
Big thank you to all the people behind the scenes working hard to bring the site back.

I've been busy working & doing DIY on the new house.

Crafty
11-09-2009, 15:55
sitting in a corner and telling myself that the forum will be back soon, over and over again :p

Yeah, but I was foaming a little bit aswell - I wish those people in white cloaks would stop looking at me.
Anyway, at least BCUK is back up again.

I went for a 4 day (60km) expedition over the South Downes, my "favourite" part being the aptly named 'Devil's Dyke' and the near vertical climb one of my team decided to put into the routecard for it.
Though I got to see spectacular views that were well worth the effort.

Crafty
11-09-2009, 16:03
Rocked back and forth making moany noises.

....what's that supposed to mean? Why of earth would you spend most of your time in a rocking chair eating delicious meals that made you moan in joy?

British Red
11-09-2009, 16:18
In best non specific yokel accent

This woik oi ave mostly been leaking claret

Has airway surgery (again) a week ago and am stuck indoors for two weeks due to infection risk

Not all bad though - gave me lots of time to try some new preservation techniques in my normal Autumn veg saving extravaganza.

New ones include Thai sweet chilli sauce (thought about Mesquite while trying this one), caramalised onion chutney and sweetcorn relish :cool:

Pictorials are available if anyone has excess allotment or garden stuff they need to "put back" ;)

Red

Nonsuch
11-09-2009, 16:35
Booked myself on Wayne's next bow-making course. Really missed this site. Well done to Tony for triumphing at last

NS

BOD
11-09-2009, 16:50
Tony,

While I'm sure it was very hard for you - waiting is very difficult- , as one who has been in this position for real, I felt like a lost soul in a wilderness of unfamiliar websites who was trying to find his way home.

Terrible ordeal. I need therapy.

Ash

mrmel
11-09-2009, 16:51
Woop Woop Bcuk Is Back!!!
I was gutted not to have anything to read while killing time. Unemployment sucks!
Well done any and all that got it up and running again.
YAY!

Chris the Cat
11-09-2009, 16:58
Paying my deposit for the Arctic trip !
(and worrying how the hell to sort out the flights!)
Welcome back!
C da C.

tobes01
11-09-2009, 16:59
Completed Race the Sun - 50 mile bike ride, climb Helvellyn, 2 mile canoe. THAT's how bored I was without my BCUK fix :)

Well done on getting it back Tony, can't imagine why we'd be the target for a DDOS...

Peter_t
11-09-2009, 17:25
i spent most of the week working hard cutting down diseased elm trees. one particularly big one i had to climb 50 or 60 feet with spikes then fell the top:yikes: its quite spectacular to watch it going over then fall and crash on the ground. it can be a bit hairy scary at times but i love it:D i just got home from another job and am absolutely knackered:o

glad the forums back!

Pete

Ruvio
11-09-2009, 17:36
I played cricket against the lords taverners...pedro collins played against us, which was a shocking yet amazing experience.
Wrote some more of my book...
and then got food poisoning

Nickthechippy
11-09-2009, 18:22
Nowhere near as good as Topknots pouch... but

I decided to try some leather work, order some stuff ..needles thread etc and copied roughly my coachies dog treat bag. I am going to use it for that.
I had an old Timberland calf skin coat I was going to throw out.

anyways without BCUK to trawl for help I got some tips off BritishBlades.

I lined the bag with the silk from the coat as well.

Its suede on both sides. I know it looks rough (and it is) but its all hand done and the first thing I have ever sewn, let alone leather :)

http://www.btinternet.com/~nicholasl.prosser/IMG_5738b.JPG
http://www.btinternet.com/~nicholasl.prosser/IMG_5739b.JPG
http://www.btinternet.com/~nicholasl.prosser/IMG_5740b.JPG
http://www.btinternet.com/~nicholasl.prosser/IMG_5742b.JPG

Man of Tanith
11-09-2009, 18:25
gods its a relief to have BCUK back and running again,
thanks Tony for all the hard work i know it must of been frustrating to deal with.
this week i have bought a SAS smock from SASS kit and gone on few short walks witht he dog and worked too much, and sent my entire family nuts sulking cause BCUK weren't online.
cheers
Sam

hiho
11-09-2009, 18:32
building a post count on the toher two fourms :O :)

locum76
11-09-2009, 18:59
I cycled a total of 50 miles on me new bike, I worked my ass off at work (made a grand this week), I sent off my money to John Fenna for a dragons breath thingamabob (cheers john), I'm working the farmers market tomorrow and then maybe off to Dunc's for some of his home brew.

Its amazing what can be done when you're not glued to the interweb... :rolleyes:

addo
11-09-2009, 21:35
i spent most of the week working hard cutting down diseased elm trees. one particularly big one i had to climb 50 or 60 feet with spikes then fell the top:yikes: its quite spectacular to watch it going over then fall and crash on the ground. it can be a bit hairy scary at times but i love it:D i just got home from another job and am absolutely knackered:o

glad the forums back!

Pete

Right laugh ay.:)

One of the biggist bum clenching moments for me, was reducing 60' Grey poplars by 50% in one go on spikes. Yeeeeehaaaa.
I dont reccomend it though, the kick back nearly sent me into the next village :D

Ive been collecting all the bits for making several different bow drill sets, and gathering natural tinders.

dogwood
11-09-2009, 21:56
Welcome back BCUK -- and good job Tony!

I took my daughter to Illinois to start college (I weep for missing her!) and I spent some time studying the natural prairie here in the US -- a fascinating ecosystem.

I also harvested a lot of dogbane while I was there -- the place was thick with it -- processed a bunch of it by the side of the road and put it in plastic bags to ship back.

My bags of plant material earned a fair amount of attention at the airport.

"It's for making cordage," says I.

"Huh, what? Is this drugs?"

"No, I'm going to make cordage with it..."

"It looks illegal, I'll have to call my chief..."

"No it looks like rope...just before it gets all twisted up..."

After 20 minutes of further explanation -- including an impromptu demonstration -- they let me board my plane....

Peter_t
11-09-2009, 21:58
Right laugh ay.:)

One of the biggist bum clenching moments for me, was reducing 60' Grey poplars by 50% in one go on spikes. Yeeeeehaaaa.
I dont reccomend it though, the kick back nearly sent me into the next village :D

i love the moment when it starts going over:) the few of times iv done it it usually goes like this;
panic! chainbrake, pull saw out of the cut, swich off then drop the saw, brace yourself! 'few' im glad thats over and finaly smug cheesey grin:D

pete

BILLy
11-09-2009, 22:29
I bought 6 tree books (my kids and misses say i am sad)on my 4 day break in my caravan.
In work, my boss has gone on holiday to the states and he asked me to stand in for him, go to meetings and sort out issues as they arise, what a job he has dont think i could do it much more that 3 weeks (on my money:D ), anyway today i took loads of kit to the woods expecting to get up to stuff but i just sat there doing nothing for about an hour or so, just watching whats going on, the sun has been really brite today:) , shining through the canopy of the woods as i sat on a bent tree like it was growing the wrong way then decided to turn the other way making a nice seat, lovely feeling after the stresses of work, I could hear what i thought was a wood pecker but looking through my spoting scope seen a small bird pecking like mad, looked like it was trying to smash something? dont think it was a hazel (cob) nut although there where a lot around, then a big crow came flying through coughing as he went, and wood pigeons flighting in to the trees cooing to each other as they settled down to soak up the rays, did`nt want to leave but I had to, well thats charged me up for now. and had a slow walk back through five fields back to my car back to reality, Take care all Bill

JohnC
11-09-2009, 23:44
Nice to see the forums back... Good work from all...

Went climbing at Ratho, realised I need to lose some weight.....
MAde some chutney from BR's recipe..
MAde some plum jam
Made a spoon knife
CArved out a kuska..

Waited for BCUK to come back....

Walks with dogs
12-09-2009, 02:30
Forgot to add.... We have some redcurrants the wife didn't know what to do with, so I did the decent thing and stuck them in a bannock. My missus now realise bushcraft is a good thing , not just daft husband donkeying around in the back garden eating grass!

Nagual
12-09-2009, 10:14
Past week, I've went for a wee bimble - 14 mile round trip, starting around sea level, heading up past the old resi in Biships Glen, up over The Sorach to Black Craig, down past Blairbluie and back along the Coralach Forest. As usual the weather was fairly pants, but was bareable.

Along the way found some Greater Reed Mace, and harvested a root or two, tried a bit raw and later cooked. Have to say I think I prefered it raw, had more flavour. Although it may be this time of year, they really didn't taste of much at all.

Haven't done anymore work on the bow(s) yet but will at some point.

Going up into the hills today in a hour or so, maybe up Glen Fyne or maybe Loch Eck.. to be decided. Just an over nighter so nothing to write home about. There's always something to stop you doing what you'd like isn't there? :rolleyes:

Looking forward to playing with catapult now fishfish's elastic has arrived.. :)

rich59
12-09-2009, 19:35
I poked at my 14-15 gallons of fermenting white elderberry wine and chatted on a wine making forum. I spent a few hours making notes on my elderberry bush plantation. I practiced concertina. I sang a bit. I cooked and ate some amaranth leaves I was growing as an experiment in my garden. I read New Scientist. I did a lot at work.......

bearbait
13-09-2009, 02:46
Went to Canada. Currently in Northern B.C. on the Ksan First Nations Camp Site in Hazleton (2.5 days driving from Vancouver). Heading for Prince Rupert and ferry to the Queen Charlotte Islands for a couple of weeks of day hiking, then back to Vancouver via the Rockies, again for the day hikes, and eventually back home to a disgruntled 'er indoors...and my dogs.

Pleased you guys have got the forum back - sterling effort.

Tye Possum
13-09-2009, 06:25
I read some of Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski, made some match stick feather sticks, then burned them to see what would happen (I made a spiral down around the match on one, from near the bottom to the match head and it burned down in a spiral which was kind of cool), I watched two bad movies, I helped my parents order my birthday presents off the internet(not much of a surprise but who cares, I'm getting a DD tarp!), and I frequently checked BCUK to see if it was back, sighed and then went and did one of the things above, then finally a sigh of relief because the forum was back, Hurray!!! Thanks Tony and everyone else who have been working so hard to get the site back, if it wasn't for you, I'm sure some of us wouldn't have made it much longer!:D

swyn
13-09-2009, 19:42
I'm building a brick wall using lime mortar and reclaimed bricks. It's now up to 8', three more courses to go. My wife is being my helper, as ever, thanks love!

Swyn.

phaserrifle
13-09-2009, 20:30
went to collage, tried to fix our internet connection. replaced the computer hard-drive.
finaly got round to sewing badges onto my scouts badge blanket.

firecrest
13-09-2009, 20:44
went to the midlands meet! where were you all?

Graham_S
14-09-2009, 02:50
I attended the induction day for my new job.
This meant injections, blood tests, and a chest x-ray.
Plus a pile of forms for visas, pension plans, and healthcare plans.
I start an 11 week course next monday too.

Aaron
14-09-2009, 08:29
i love the moment when it starts going over:) the few of times iv done it it usually goes like this;
panic! chainbrake, pull saw out of the cut, swich off then drop the saw, brace yourself! 'few' im glad thats over and finaly smug cheesey grin:D

pete

Then spare a thought for your poor groundie who has to clear it all up ;)

robin wood
14-09-2009, 08:58
Went to Carpenters Fellowship "frame" event, that's the annual gathering of UK timber framers, I took some German mates who demonstrated German and Japanese hewing techniques and I ran some axe and knife carving workshops. Back home taught a spooncarving course. Good to see site back up and running.

Grooveski
14-09-2009, 14:03
Footered about with an old compound bow changing the mickey mouse barnett cams for a set of hoyt command cams and home-made strings. Started a new leather water bottle. Got a bit more scraping done on the campfire bow during a very soggy night up at Loch Ard.
Had a great few days out at Scotties pad mackie bashing. Remade the fireplace, built a stone oven(to be tweaked and turfed next time out) and smoked some fish in it. Got burnt to a crisp yesterday and had perfect paddling conditions both ways.

Saw a little basking shark up close, beastie was nearly as big as the canoe but still the smallest I've ever seen. Nice red moonrises too, especially on friday night.

MikeE
14-09-2009, 14:09
Helped prepare for the Hatfield Forest annual Woodfest. Lots of timber shifting (4 tons+) , mostly by hand and of course tractor/trailer combo! Erected a ru**y enormous stage and canvas cover for the music at said event, biggest 'A frame' I've ever seen and that was just to hold the front open. Then enjoyed the event as a "visitor" with the family on Saturday before going back on Sunday to take photos (for the NT). Had a lot of conversations with green and seasoned woodworkers and a local blacksmith who, I hope, will be making up a few cooking items for me! Got some turned light pulls for firesteel handles (tonights job is to drill out and epoxy!). Oh.....................and a few days work too!

Bushwhacker
14-09-2009, 14:43
Training ferrets for the upcoming rabbit season, shooting stuff to feed said ferrets with.
Drinking cider.

robin wood
14-09-2009, 16:20
Helped prepare for the Hatfield Forest annual Woodfest. Lots of timber shifting (4 tons+) , mostly by hand and of course tractor/trailer combo! Erected a ru**y enormous stage and canvas cover for the music at said event, biggest 'A frame' I've ever seen and that was just to hold the front open. Then enjoyed the event as a "visitor" with the family on Saturday before going back on Sunday to take photos (for the NT). Had a lot of conversations with green and seasoned woodworkers and a local blacksmith who, I hope, will be making up a few cooking items for me! Got some turned light pulls for firesteel handles (tonights job is to drill out and epoxy!). Oh.....................and a few days work too!

Glad to hear that is still going, I started that event off when I worked as a warden there years ago. First one was just me in a corner of the car park with a woodmizer and piles of timber. Are Ade and Ian still there?

Tengu
14-09-2009, 16:29
Helped Uncle with garden produce, taught him how to bottle it.

Dont know if he will try it for himself, though.

made some sloe gin

Found loads of hazelnuts

Learned more about my camera.

moab
14-09-2009, 17:07
Spent the week with SWMBO paddling and very wild camping down the Green River in Utah, saw lots of Mountain Lion tracks and something with a loud voice growled at us as we floated by a stand of Tamarisks:eek:

Klenchblaize
15-09-2009, 16:56
A neighbour gave me a once-worn hat he claimed to have no use for. Turned out to be an "Akubra Territory" that was only a little to tight!

After wet re-forming to my head's contours (wrap head in two layers of bandage and then force into desired position for 8 hrs!) I figured my prize deserved a little ornamentation:

1. Custom-made leather retainer with antler toggles and buffalo horn tipped keeper.
2. New hat band formed of handsewen leather, blocked off-cut from a leopard's pelt to receive brass rams head insignia.
3. Leather-mounted favourite archery badge stitched to back of hat.
4. Brass badge of ordinance significance fitted to front.

Now I think about it I may have overdone the embellishment but that is most certainly Tony's fault!! Well, it was either this or book into rehab!

Next server down project will comprise of stout holly stick, antler, stainless steel and ............................

Cheers

sandsnakes
16-09-2009, 17:49
Well went and played with Dave Budd and Rod at Daves forge, woke myself up with the volume of my own snoring during the night!

Tony, I looked up DDOS attacks, wow thats nasty, who would want to put BCUK off line like that? When you find the swine, lets all go round and
hone our sharps on his head... boy if your reading this, we are looking for you!:AR15firin

Sandsnakes

Satyr
17-09-2009, 11:33
Spent the week in Denmark teaching climbing and rescue from windturbines plus some first aid.

Had great fun getting walkie talkies through security at the airport - bit my tongue when they told me that items that can transmit can not be taken with you despite allowing my mobile phone and wireless laptop through (thoughts of rubber gloves and areas of my anattomy meeting made me keep a fixed smile in place and pointing out that there is no mention in the restricted items list of two way radios)