PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a Bushcraft demo?

RAPPLEBY2000
08-08-2009, 19:48
Hi I already demo for my local council and do the bow drill which is a great for crowds, but I've been invited to teach a group(up to around 30) but unfortunately no fires!!!! (It's on FC land).
Iv'e thought of a way around it I'll create ember but not the flames! I can put out embers instantly.

any ideas on other stuff to do in a large group?

I'm thinking shelter demos, fibers, food finding, etc any other ideas?

Cheers
Rich

MartinK9
08-08-2009, 20:08
some sort of water filtration system?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBVoVv0IGhI

Twodogs
08-08-2009, 20:34
Basha building ?
improvised shelters
river crossing drill ( Dry )
blindfold team navigation
stretcher building
use mag bearings and pacing to get to different stands( plus aiming off drills )

tobes01
08-08-2009, 20:36
Saw the title and got the wrong end of the stick here - had a vision of lots of ventile-clad folk marching up Whitehall chanting "What do we want? Woodsmoke! When do we want it? After proper preparation of tinder and gathering of kindling!"

Ahem.

Think I might need my second beer of the evening.

Tobes

smoggy
08-08-2009, 21:24
Are the 30 or so people all adults? and what is "FC" land?

No reason why you couldn't go to full fire with the correct precautions..........

prepairing tinders and kindling.
knots.
field medecines.
finding north withyour watch!

Smoggy.

RAPPLEBY2000
08-08-2009, 22:18
Hi more info

Are the 30 or so people all adults?
Its a group (or to be more precise a coachload)of families with learning difficulties so a mixture of children and adults i expect the adults to be rather more in the background. sadly i know of at least 1 adult that finds walking difficult so a hike is out of the question.

and what is "FC" land? Forestry Commission

No reason why you couldn't go to full fire with the correct precautions.......... I think the forestry commission rather would mind fires however careful i say i am.;)

I like the navigation, water collection, basha making ideas(they'll love it).

Just remembered a couple of gems from my Outdoor activity diploma, surprise cake!

British Red
08-08-2009, 22:23
I suggested twenty men whittling placards with scandinavian ground knives.

The placards could have painted on them

"What do we want? Ventile!

When do we want it? Now!"

That should make a good demo ;)

RAPPLEBY2000
08-08-2009, 22:54
Ahem...yes:lmao:

smoggy
08-08-2009, 23:00
Forestry Commission....DOH.........ment al block here! Yes they would probably object to a full flame...LOL.

So learning difficulties...........stick to visual and tactile tasks if they are to have a go rather than anything too cerebal, as you will not know in advance what their ability levels are, in fact it may be a good idea to have a few options available in case you over or under estimate their abilities.....

These things are never as easy as they first appear to be!

Smoggy.

Twodogs
09-08-2009, 11:10
Shelter building mate , keep it simple thay will love it .
Twodogs

He' s left the building
09-08-2009, 13:32
I suggested twenty men whittling placards with scandinavian ground knives.

What do we want: Ventile!

When do we want it: In light drizzle and intermittent showers!

Shelter construction and water filtration both seem good ideas: no sharps, no fires and reduced potential for problems with handing out food items (allergies/food poisoning)