PDA

View Full Version : the Postman

RAPPLEBY2000
12-03-2009, 20:10
an adventure in post apocoliptic America, dunno what it's like but may be interesting.

on FIVE now!

seems sort of "nicer than Mad max", a bit more wildernessy?

warning it is quite "Hollywood" if you get my meaning.

uh-oh they guy's just got caught by a sort of police force could go downhill from here!

British Red
12-03-2009, 20:12
Good book

Bad Film

Two hours of your life you'll want back

Red

Mesquite
12-03-2009, 20:15
Good book

Bad Film

Two hours of your life you'll want back

Red

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: excellent review Red :D

RAPPLEBY2000
12-03-2009, 20:21
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: excellent review Red :D

Perhaps I'll give it a miss then:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

(I'll keep the two hours);)

sandbender
12-03-2009, 21:02
an adventure in post apocoliptic America, dunno what it's like but may be interesting

No its not a great film, definitely two hours I wish I could have back :(

If a movie about a 'post apocalyptic America' is something you'd want to watch then I'd keep an eye out for the cinematic version of Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' which should be released sometime this year.

Pictures here (http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery/2008/l080807_theroad/flash.htm?gid=654&aid=3108).

korvin karbon
12-03-2009, 21:05
Omega man and the dawn of the living dead (the original)

Postman is not great but its a decent movie to watch in the corner of your eye while surfing

Tengu
12-03-2009, 21:18
`But she had tired of these sorcerous projections, wherein everything seemed so immediate and real and yet was so false and ephemeral. Someone, a court wag and self appointed prophet, had remarked idly in her ear that some day in the distant future people would watch such magical projections as entertainment. She had replied that they would all have to be possessed of brains like potatoes and a complete lack of life force in order to sit idle and simply be content to watch life unfolding on a giant screen instead of paticipating full bloodedly in the business of life itself. That had silenced the wag`

`King of Ayodhya` The Ramayana series, by Ashok K Banker

dogwood
12-03-2009, 21:19
The book is well worth it.

EXCEPT it's got a sci-fi aspect toward the end (I won't spoil it and it's not in the movie) that is incredibly dumb and unnecessary. It doesn't wreck the book, but it sure is a let down.

Otherwise, a highly recommended read.

RAPPLEBY2000
12-03-2009, 21:41
EXCEPT it's got a sci-fi aspect toward the end
I like Sci-Fi I think it's pretty much what drew me to "the postman",
Post apocoliptic often comes with sci fi films i.e.

Pretty much any film set after the 21st century it's assumed there was a 3rd world war even fun stuff like "Red dwarf" and "Hitchhikers guide" the story starts after some sort of disaster.

Other films like "Mad Max", "Space 1999", "Waterworld", "Planet of the apes", "terminator", "the Matrix", and any "Zombie movie" they all have prior or present Disaster undertones.

I guess it all stems from the mid to late 20th century war fears, but usually it fills a few "plot holes":lmao:

I didnt' watch the rest of the Film, I'm watching Bottom with Rik Mayal and Ade Edmonson insted.:D

Dougster
12-03-2009, 21:54

If a movie about a 'post apocalyptic America' is something you'd want to watch then I'd keep an eye out for the cinematic version of Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' which should be released sometime this year.

Pictures here (http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery/2008/l080807_theroad/flash.htm?gid=654&aid=3108).

That was a book that took my breath away, I daren't see the film.

firecrest
12-03-2009, 23:49
my dad watched it because he was a postman. Seriously.

MartinK9
13-03-2009, 00:43

Spooky - just listening to that as an AudioBook:eek:

johannesburg
13-03-2009, 01:32
I really enjoyed the postman lol, I have it on DVD.

sandbender
13-03-2009, 04:48
That was a book that took my breath away, I daren't see the film.

Yes it's likely to be both an intense and not particularly joyful movie experience. :)

forestwalker
13-03-2009, 06:28
Other books where you can see America gets wrecked is S.M. Stirlings "Dies the Fire" series. Not much bushcraft, but nice anyway, assuming you like Stirling (a bit different, e.g. he does not hide what happens when people fight each other, so be prepared for some blood being splattered, but not just for the sake of it).

The classic "survival SF" is of course Heinleins "Tunnel in the Sky". No wrecked America, but plenty of survival (not so good once you know a bit, but still nice)