PDA

View Full Version : Single pole tents and lighting

godfather
23-02-2009, 14:51
Hi all,

I have a Tentipi 9 and was after some useful advice on how to hang stuff from the central pole such as a lantern/kettle or a coat.

Any thoughts?:confused:

Wayland
23-02-2009, 14:55
I drilled a little hole though the pole on my pyramid tarp that is just big enough to push a skewer through.

I used it to hang my candle lantern from but no reason you couldn't hand other stuff from it.

Shewie
23-02-2009, 15:09
Rubber bands and mini krabs ?

sandbender
23-02-2009, 15:32
I have hung my petromax lamp from a Tentipi pole with a hanger whittled from of a length of wood. It was around thirty centimeters by eight and maybe one deep, at one end I cut a hole slightly larger than the pole so that it would be held in place by friction when the lamp was hung from the far end. Here is a rough sketch (the cut for the pole tapered inwards slightly so it wouldn't readily slip off)...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/sandbender/bushcraft/misc/pole.jpg

It worked well even in rough weather when the central pole was flying back and forth. If you plan to make one it should be at least thirty centimeters long otherwise the lamp will clatter of the pole when its windy :)

myotis
23-02-2009, 15:50
If you don't mind spending some money then:

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/products/lantern-hanger/4667/

But it looks like something that could be fairly easily made.

Graham

rik_uk3
23-02-2009, 16:46
I use a converted tent peg which cost nothing, I'll take a picture later

gunslinger
23-02-2009, 18:43
Poundland are doing some market stall style sprung clips which will do the trick for this and probably other things.

I think there are four in a bag.

Cant remember how much :D :D :D :D

GS

topknot
23-02-2009, 19:20
Hi, made this up for my pole,
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9466/img0994.jpg

Cheers Topknot,

sandbender
23-02-2009, 19:35
Hi, made this up for my pole,
Cheers Topknot,

You have a leather sofa in your tipi?

That s a bit flash :D

helixpteron
23-02-2009, 19:43
You have a leather sofa in your tipi?

That s a bit flash :D

Damn! He beat me to it! http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/helixpteron/happy0009.gif

godfather
23-02-2009, 19:47
Folks,
thanks for the suggestions. I an this very minute splitting some seasoned birch to see what I can come up with.:)

topknot
23-02-2009, 19:48
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Nonsuch
23-02-2009, 20:00
Ho ho. Taunton Leisure want a tenner to post their lantern hanger to me. I don't think so....

Another solution is to unbend some coathanger wire, make two small hooks either end of a two-foot piece and hook one end through the loops in the corners between the fibreglass rods at the top of your walls (if you have a tentipi you will know what I mean) then hook your lantern over the other. The lantern hangs nicely away from the pole that way

sandbender
23-02-2009, 20:57
Another solution is to unbend some coathanger wire, make two small hooks either end of a two-foot piece and hook one end through the loops in the corners between the fibreglass rods at the top of your walls (if you have a tentipi you will know what I mean) then hook your lantern over the other. The lantern hangs nicely away from the pole that way

Yes but it'll jump around more, I know this having fashioned a circular drying rack from a piece of willow and attached it to the fiberglass rods, when its very windy the whole tent jumps about, however the pole remains stable(ish) :D

baggins
24-02-2009, 20:48
What i do in mine, is use paracord whipped around the pole at about 3/4 up then tie the other end on the internal hanging tabs on the inside of the fly (on mine they are about 1/2 way up. You can then tie knots along it to hang various items. Makes for a great drying line and keeps my candle lantern at a nice hight (make sure you have a good distance so the cord doesn't melt, although i've neve had a problem)

Baggins

Shambling Shaman
24-02-2009, 21:29
In my old Hex 3 I simply used used prussic and mini od-ities carabiners.

But as Wayland said.

I drilled a little hole though the pole on my pyramid tarp that is just big enough to push a skewer through.

sounds like a good plan as you would get a stand off...

Wayland
24-02-2009, 21:59
It certainly works for me and I generally carry a couple of skewers for cooking anyway.

forestwalker
12-03-2009, 17:20
I have the 5, and for drying stuff I generally string some cord crosswise up top, A lantern can be hung from those just as easilly