PDA

View Full Version : How can I stop cats doing there business in my garden?

sharp88
13-09-2008, 17:06
Some new neighbours moved in about 6 months ago and since then, are garden has become a frequent toilet for there cats. You wouldn't beleive how many times we've found nasty cat nuggets in a nest of moss on the lawn. I've blocked up all the gaps under the fence with bricks, but I need a homemade remedy of some sort to get rid of them.

I hear carpet spike strips along the top of the fence works, but I don't want to hurt them, just make them uncomftorble or scare them to stop them from coming back.

I have tried carbolic soap before and it didn't seem to work. I have...also peed in a line along the frequent pooping area, but that hasn't worked very well, due to I suspect all the rain we've been having.

I need a remedy of some sought, from materials that can be found in the house and that don't involve necessarily buying any sort of noise emmiters or other animals.

John Fenna
13-09-2008, 17:17
Buy a large, hungry dog?

maddave
13-09-2008, 17:21
I've always had 100% success with my cat deterrent:cool:

http://www.airshooter.co.uk/media/SA80_Rifle_HFC.jpg

Seriously though, buy cheap black pepper and sprinkle it where they go....They hate it !!

scanker
13-09-2008, 17:27
A cat of your own?
Tiger poo.
Shoot them with a water pistol until they learn to go somewhere else.

firecrest
13-09-2008, 17:32
I love the tiger poo one! You can buy it from the zoo for this purpose. I mean you can just see the advert now

"tired of cats pooing on the lawn? scare them off by smearing the whole thing with TIGER TURDS! they are bigger and smell more than the original problem you had! A huge deterrent to house cats everywhere!"

sharp88
13-09-2008, 18:03
I've always had 100% success with my cat deterrent:cool:

http://www.airshooter.co.uk/media/SA80_Rifle_HFC.jpg

Seriously though, buy cheap black pepper and sprinkle it where they go....They hate it !!

If only I could pot them in the backside with my BB gun. I used to shoot grapes in my slingshot at other cats when we had this problem before, but these cats are long gone by the time I've unlocked the back door.

Bardster
13-09-2008, 18:10
You can actually get stuff from the garden centre thats been soaked in lion "essense"

sharp88
13-09-2008, 18:11
You can actually get stuff from the garden centre thats been soaked in lion "essense"

Hmmm yeah I would have thought they'd have somthing clever like that. It is an age old problem afterall.

British Red
13-09-2008, 18:18
I do confess to thinking that people who own cats should ensure they are trained to use litter trays etc.

I have found the rapid application of a jet wash effective too (on "blast the mud off the 4x4" setting).

Around here fortunately there are no "cat people" so any seen are ferals - the game keeper makes short work of them - the one exception is an old ratter of a barn cat who is too wiley for the game keeper but also doesn't take birds (only rodents etc.) and doesn't, ever defacate in peoples gardens - I guess he uses the woods.

Genuinely I have never understood how its deemed acceptable to have a creature that leaves faeces in other peoples agrdens where toddlers play.

Red

scanker
13-09-2008, 18:36
The tiger poo I was thinking of is lion poo actually, commercially available as "Silent Roar" cat repellent pellets.

SquirrelBoy
13-09-2008, 18:43
I was watching Alan Titchmarsh on tv (yesterday i think) and he had a viewer write in about this problem of cats fouling in the garden. He suggested planting 'dog rose' around the place.

Mesquite
13-09-2008, 19:00
Think this might help you....
/Cat-Repellent-or-How-to-keep-Cats-out-of-your-Garden (http://www.1fleacontrol.co.uk/acatalog/Cat-Repellent-or-How-to-keep-Cats-out-of-your-Garden.html)

Keeping very quiet about the 5 cats that live with me ;)

scanker
13-09-2008, 19:06
There's an extra http// in your link: http://www.1fleacontrol.co.uk/acatalog/Cat-Repellent-or-How-to-keep-Cats-out-of-your-Garden.html

Mesquite
13-09-2008, 19:15
There's an extra http// in your link: http://www.1fleacontrol.co.uk/acatalog/Cat-Repellent-or-How-to-keep-Cats-out-of-your-Garden.html

Thanks for that.... I was wondering why my links seemed to be failing all the time

sharp88
13-09-2008, 19:52
I just saw the little bugger on the top of the shed in my neighbours garden, taunting me. I proceeded by throwing gone-off grapes at him.

scanker
13-09-2008, 20:34
We have a cat around here who only needs to hear the tap running and he's off.

a12jpm
13-09-2008, 20:51
Water pistol but you've got to be in the right place at the right time. I will admit to being a bit cat adverse as the previous owner of my house had 43 cats and 2 dogs. Needless to say there is not much of the original house left, but i still manage to smell the cats sometimes!!

sharp88
13-09-2008, 21:01
Water pistol but you've got to be in the right place at the right time. I will admit to being a bit cat adverse as the previous owner of my house had 43 cats and 2 dogs. Needless to say there is not much of the original house left, but i still manage to smell the cats sometimes!!

I used to have a super soaker type thing from America which consisted of a backpack part and a rather large plunger which would saturate everything when fired. I got rid of it years ago though when I outgrew all that stuff as a kid.

If all else fails, I suppose I can always throw a slipper at it like my dad used to.

gilly0802
13-09-2008, 21:21
conversley if you use an ammonia based cleaning spray it will attract cats to do tieir business where you have sprayed the stuff.......

obviously only realy helpful if you have a Neighbour you dont particularly like.....:ban:

sharp88
13-09-2008, 21:52
conversley if you use an ammonia based cleaning spray it will attract cats to do tieir business where you have sprayed the stuff.......

obviously only realy helpful if you have a Neighbour you dont particularly like.....:ban:

Ah because of the ammonia content in wizz. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to mark my terrirory afterall.:lmao:

a12jpm
13-09-2008, 22:27
I used to have a super soaker type thing from America which consisted of a backpack part and a rather large plunger which would saturate everything when fired. I got rid of it years ago though when I outgrew all that stuff as a kid.

If all else fails, I suppose I can always throw a slipper at it like my dad used to.

Or get yourself down to woolies - they do a great line in fireman sam back mounted water pistols. Who said having kids was a chore - it's the only chance i get to actually act my age!!:D

Joonsy
14-09-2008, 00:50
some gamekeepers state that if a rope is soaked in creosote and stretched out then foxes will not cross this line, maybe it might work for cats too, otherwise electric wire like what they put round pheasant pens.

spamel
14-09-2008, 00:58
I heard this crazy idea of filling old pop bottles up with water and leaving them on your lawn. The bottles need to be the clear variety, not coloured in any way. Something to do with reflection? Supposedly, it works!

Shewie
14-09-2008, 13:18
I`ve not opened all the links above to check but you can buy an audible deterent which works on motion. It emits a high pitch squeal which only they can hear. If you don`t have cats of your oqn then this is definitely the route to go down. We had one here up a tree when we moved in, we didn`t notice it for ages until I uncovered the power cable when knocking the shed down.

Rich

Rhoda
14-09-2008, 14:39
Definitely water pistol of the super soaker variety! We had a stray tom cat who kept coming into our house and spraying everywhere. Eventually my hubby got a massive water pistol, waited for the cat to come, blocked all exits and gave it a good soaking and chased it away. Hasn't been back since!
Failing that ask your neighbour who owns the cat to pay for something to keep it off your garden. When we realised our cats had pood in our neighbours veg patch (she never complained weirdly!) we bought her a devise from the DIY store to keep them off without tainting her veggies. Worked a treat, now they only poo where we want them to!

Womble_Lancs
15-09-2008, 16:12
I once caught a cat in the act in my back garden and lobbed my glass of orange juice at it. The cat never came back, which made me very happy because I really don't like the nasty furry assassins.

Bimble
15-09-2008, 18:34
I have two cats and I have developed a fool proof way of stopping them dumping in my garden.:thinkerg:

What you do is ‘no’ gardening as you’re too busy out in the woods. (Nature is so awesomely beautiful that gardens always seem a bit fake to me anyway.:dunno: )

The guy across the street who spends every Sunday of his preciously short, yet unimaginative life, cleaning his car and weeding his borders has the privilege of clearing up after all the local cats.;)

Cats are quite cleaver really! Why dig somewhere hard and stony when it’s less effort to slope over the road for a dump in the nicely tilled loam.

Seriously, when it comes to cats, don’t p**s about with water pistols, they respect only superior force. :AR15firin
Get a bucket of water and use that, even if you miss they have enough nous to get that being hit would be no fun and not come around again.

Mesquite
15-09-2008, 21:26
LOL, I'm sat here reading all the recomendations to get a super soaker water pistol and thinking of one of my cats.

If you tried spraying him with one of those he'd love it and think you wanted to play with him. He's the only cat I know what actually WANTS to chase water so whenever the hosepipe comes out he's there waiting for his turn with it :D

grebo247365
15-09-2008, 21:41
Why bother trying to deter the cats, knock on your neighbours door and take a dump on his lawn when he answers, they will either promptly move away or you will get an ASBO.

JonnyP
15-09-2008, 21:56
A lot of mention about water, because cats hate it (other than Mesquite's cat).. The thing is most cats are more active at night and while you are tucked up in bed and dreaming about soaking that damn cat from up the road, that damn cat from up the road is crapping in your garden.. I have tried hard over the years to rid the garden of cats. I cut a roll of chicken wire in half and put that on top of the six foot panels around the garden. It didn't work... I spent £40 on a ultrasonic blaster... It didn't work.
I once set up a load of traps.. I could see where the cats were getting in by all the claw marks on the fence, so I set up some planks that were balanced and a bucket of water below... I was lying in bed that night when I heard a big clatter and eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooowwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... . How I chuckled.....:lmao: It never stopped them comming in though.. Once they are used to using an area as a toilet, it is very hard to stop them.. I did have some success once with some small brown balls that were soaked in citronella (sorry, can't remember the name of the stuff). The smell was nice and lasted a few weeks and stopped the cats pooing in that area. Thing is they went elsewhere in the garden, you can't keep spending out on deterrants all the time..

superc0ntra
15-09-2008, 22:38
I had the same problem, but managed to soak it with the garden hose just once and after that I've been rid of the cat.

tomtom
15-09-2008, 23:10
Air arms s410 done the trick for me:D

Bernie

Not only is this suggestion incredibly cruel but it is also illegal, I hope you are joking Bernie but try to remember someone viewing from outside might not see the funny side.

If you guys can't talk about these thing sensibly then good advice is lost and threads are locked.

spamel
15-09-2008, 23:13
Not only is this suggestion incredibly cruel but it is also illegal, I hope you are joking Bernie but try to remember someone viewing from outside might not see the funny side.

If you guys can't talk about these thing sensibly then good advice is lost and threads are locked.

I'll not mention napalm and aerial bombardments from the RA then!

:o

Bernie Garland
15-09-2008, 23:13

My apologias to all it was a joke.

Bernie

maddave
16-09-2008, 01:50
I love the tiger poo one! You can buy it from the zoo for this purpose. I mean you can just see the advert now

"tired of cats pooing on the lawn? scare them off by smearing the whole thing with TIGER TURDS! they are bigger and smell more than the original problem you had! A huge deterrent to house cats everywhere!"

AHHHHahahhahahah Just spat coke all over me keyboard ya monkey !!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Jedadiah
16-09-2008, 06:46
On a serious note, the guys who suggested 'super soakers' are not a million miles from the ideal. Cats don't like Lemon, so stick a little bit of Jif lemon in the water in your super soaker and spray the borders of your property. Hopefully, one of your feline interlopers may show their face while your doing it. Watch the arrogance literally drain away as you liberally dose them with your Jif Lemon mix. It's like Vampires and holy water, they will do ANYTHING to get away, quicker than a toilet stop in Rattlesnake country and believe me, they will not come back. It works for your car as well; drop some in your shampoo when washing it and you'll never find one curled up asleep on your roof.:D

C_Claycomb
16-09-2008, 09:16
Frankly I am surprised that your local cats like to leave turds on your lawn. I am also surprised that they curl them. All the cats that I have ever met, or have had crap in the garden, have been very particular about where they do the deed. Flower beds with nice soft easy to rake soil, preferably with some privacy. As far as I know, cats do not use their feacal matter as a marker in the same way as dogs, hence cats going to the trouble of burying. All the turds I have ever found on lawns have been the work of foxes, which DO use them as territorial markers, do like to leave them in prominent positions, preferably on top of something slightly elevated, and do lay them in curls.

My neighbour was just complaining about a "cat" turd on his lawn that was the colour and consistency of mud. I asked if he was sure that it wasn't a fox that had been feeding on earth worms. He didn't think we had foxes around town locally, but I have seen, smelled and heard them on our street.

Just a thought.

JonnyP
16-09-2008, 09:36
Chris... Many cats use lawns, especially if the grass is a bit long.. Having worked in many peoples gardens I have seen all the places that cats use... They love sharp sand, if I was to leave a pile of sand uncovered the cats would be straight into it over night. I have even had cats pooing on the tarp I put over the sand. I went to look at a job once and was chatting to the customer in the garden while their cat was crapping in a flower pot right next to us... I got the job and had to move the pot.. It was full of poo, and I mean full. The cat just turned over the old poo to do a new one..Then the cat would go indoors and jump up onto a kitchen table..:yuck: I even found a flat roof once that cats were using...

pumbaa
16-09-2008, 11:21
Not only is this suggestion incredibly cruel but it is also illegal

Whilst i agree that this is a cruel suggestion i have to point out that you are wrong that it is illegal to shoot a cat with an air rifle in your garden . There are certain fire arm laws that come into play here and as long as they are conformed too , its legal !
Im not trying to cause an argument , just speaking from experiance from when my mums cat was shot by the guy next door for pinching his koi . According to the police a cat isnt classed as a domestic animal . so its completely different to if he had shot a dog for example . He had every right to shoot his air rifle in his garden as long as he was not pointing in the direction of a public footpath that was closer than 50 yds from the boundry of his garden and the pellets remained within the boundry of said garden . There was no legal action that we could take other than calling the rspca . So we had a rather large vet bill to remove the pellet !!!

Pumbaa

xylaria
16-09-2008, 11:50
Any pee with male pheromone in should keep cats from feeling comfy enough to poo. So if you're old enough to have dirty thoughts and young enough to have functioning prostrate you can make your own cat deterrent. Spraying the actual cat should permanently keep that cat out of your garden

I use gorse as a leaf mulch where I have bare soil. I did feel a little guilty seeing several feral cats limping, but considering I have seen active tapeworm in their faeces I don't feel too bad about protecting my household. Gorse can also be used as a soft punjab sticks by placing them upright, this doesn't injury the cat.

forrestdweller
16-09-2008, 12:22
get a dog?

sharp88
16-09-2008, 12:41
Any pee with male pheromone in should keep cats from feeling comfy enough to poo. So if you're old enough to have dirty thoughts and young enough to have functioning prostrate you can make your own cat deterrent. Spraying the actual cat should permanently keep that cat out of your garden

I use gorse as a leaf mulch where I have bare soil. I did feel a little guilty seeing several feral cats limping, but considering I have seen active tapeworm in their faeces I don't feel too bad about protecting my household. Gorse can also be used as a soft punjab sticks by placing them upright, this doesn't injury the cat.

That top paragraph almost made irn bru come out my nose.

Theres been more than a few nights I've had mates over in the garden and been to inhebriated to get upstairs to the toilet. So theres plenty of male feromones out there, just not in the right place.

If peeing in the garden wasn't bad enough, hitting a cat with my pee would be pretty damn bad, however funny and not to mention difficult. A water baloon filled with my male feromone enriched pee wouldnt be a bad idea though, still kinda gross though.

sharp88
16-09-2008, 12:44
get a dog?

I wish. We're trying to sell the house (dumb parents) and Im going off to live by myself (Not anytime soon though if all this keeps up), so getting animals is out of the question, because no one would want a dog but me and theres not many bedsits that allow for pets, let alone, its cruel to keep dogs stuck inside all the time.

British Red
16-09-2008, 13:32
I think it would be very sensible if people are going to make assertions that something is "illegal" that they state and link to the law that it contravenes. We have had a few cases recently where people have stated or offered opinions on things that were subsequently shown to be fallacies.

For the avoidance of doubt, shooting cats in the UK is legal under certain circumstances. Feral cats are, for example, recognised as one of the few "pest" mammals and can be shot regardless of season etc.

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/shootingseasons

Clearly even when destroying pest creatures all the normal rules of safety, tool selection, appropriate land and skill and above alll legal and humane despatch apply.

As in all shooting, circumstances and reasons for killing are important both ethically and legally - specifically because the WCA makes the reason part of the justification.

There are certain protected species in the UK that may not be killed for any reason, but for the avoidance of doubt, that protection does NOT apply to cats. Feral cats may be shot as pests - current legislation not only does not forbid but specifically permits this. For a government source please see here

http://www.openaccess.gov.uk/lwwcm/connect/LandManagersPortal/AdministeringAccess/Guidance/Annexes+part+2/Annexes+sub+menu2/AdministeringAccess_Guidance_A nnexP

Red

Bernie Garland
16-09-2008, 13:46
I think it would be very sensible if people are going to make assertions that something is "illegal" that they state and link to the law that it contravenes. We have had a few cases recently where people have stated or offered opinions on things that were subsequently shown to be fallacies.

For the avoidance of doubt, shooting cats in the UK is legal under certain circumstances. Feral cats are, for example, recognised as one of the few "pest" mammals and can be shot regardless of season etc.

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/shootingseasons

Clearly even when destroying pest creatures all the normal rules of safety, tool selection, appropriate land and skill and above alll legal and humane despatch apply.

As in all shooting, circumstances and reasons for killing are important both ethically and legally - specifically because the WCA makes the reason part of the justification.

There are certain protected species in the UK that may not be killed for any reason, but for the avoidance of doubt, that protection does NOT apply to cats. Feral cats may be shot as pests - current legislation not only does not forbid but specifically permits this. For a government source please see here

http://www.openaccess.gov.uk/lwwcm/connect/LandManagersPortal/AdministeringAccess/Guidance/Annexes+part+2/Annexes+sub+menu2/AdministeringAccess_Guidance_A nnexP

Red

Thanks for clearing that up Red i pm ed two mods and told them the same that it is not illegal.

Bernie

Tadpole
16-09-2008, 15:27
Just so no one is in any doubt, whilst it is in certain narrow circumstances legal to kill feral cats; it is not legal to kill, injure or trap domestic cats. Under The Protection of Animals Act 1911 Protection of Animals (Scotland) Act 1912 and the Welfare of Animals (Northern Ireland) Act 1972 and yes they are still in force, supplemented by other more recent acts of parliament, such as the Animal Welfare act 2006 it is a criminal offence to cause cruelty to or kill a domestic cat.
This fact is supported by the RSPB web site, which states “Domestic cats are protected by law and it is an offence to trap, injure or kill them.” ( http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/catsandthelaw.asp)

The Theft act of 1968 (PACE still relies on the definition of property as described in this act) consider cats as property and therefore you would be guilty of an offence if you damage, injure, maim or destroy,
Add to that the Criminal Damage Act 1971

Destroying or damaging property

(1) A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage any such property (In this case a cat) or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

The law is not as cut and dried as some may think, but it is worth knowing what you are letting yourself in for when you take it into your own hands.

British Red
16-09-2008, 15:55
Just so no one is in any doubt, whilst it is in certain narrow circumstances legal to kill feral cats; it is not legal to kill, injure or trap domestic cats. Under The Protection of Animals Act 1911 Protection of Animals (Scotland) Act 1912 and the Welfare of Animals (Northern Ireland) Act 1972 and yes they are still in force, supplemented by other more recent acts of parliament, such as the Animal Welfare act 2006 it is a criminal offence to cause cruelty to or kill a domestic cat.
This fact is supported by the RSPB web site, which states “Domestic cats are protected by law and it is an offence to trap, injure or kill them.” ( http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/catsandthelaw.asp)

The Theft act of 1968 (PACE still relies on the definition of property as described in this act) consider cats as property and therefore you would be guilty of an offence if you damage, injure, maim or destroy,
Add to that the Criminal Damage Act 1971

Destroying or damaging property

(1) A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage any such property (In this case a cat) or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

The law is not as cut and dried as some may think, but it is worth knowing what you are letting yourself in for when you take it into your own hands.

Good advice there Tadpole - hence why I highlighted the feral cat problem.

I'm not sure its even as cut and dried as you say though - I believe, for example that trapping in the form of humane trapping is practiced (live trap if you will) - often for animal welfare reasons in areas where the cat is at risk, and of course for humane reasons domestic animals can be despatched when injured or in pain (by suitably qualified and equipped people) examples being after a road accident or at the discretion of a vet in the absence of the owner.

As in all things I agree people should be extremely careful to understand and study the law in all their areas of interest. I would love to say that people who maintain that something is "legal" should cite the law but of course the law does not work that way. Things are legal until made illegal by a certain law.

I do think its sensible therefore to engage in a debate with sources of the relavent legislation and the circumstances it covers when asserting that things are legal or otherwise. Cats are a particular problem in that, in the UK, they are covered by all three aspects of the law - pests, domestic property and protected species (in the case of Wild Cats). The jusdgement as to whether a cat seen causing oa problem to livestock on a farm as to whether an animal is a feral, a domestic tabby or a Wild Cat will always be tricky to make and personally, I would always err on the side of caution

Red

sharp88
16-09-2008, 16:48
Newsflash: I've found a new animalia problem now. I spotted a rat go under the shed earlier, when scratching around there. cat or rat :togo:

British Red
16-09-2008, 17:05
Now thats an easier problem in terms of how / whether to solve - just a choice of the safest and most efficacious despatch method. Since living on a farm that is grain based but also raises birds, managing rats is a constant problem. If you need advioce on methods just say the word.

Red

Mikey P
19-09-2008, 09:41
Arrrrrrrrrr! Avast there, ye cat haters!

There be an easy way to stop cats doin' their business in yer garrrrrden!

Get the local trading standards authority to take out an injunction against them furry blighters.

Arrrr-arrrr-arrrr!

Nelis
19-09-2008, 09:44
A neighbor of mine has added some electrical fence over the top of the wooden fence to keep the cats away from his birds. It works great, no cat will ever try to get into his garden a second time....