PDA

View Full Version : Critically ill after eating mushrooms



dave k
02-09-2008, 13:46
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4660269.ece


Hope the guy makes a recovery!!

As always be carefull out there.

saddle_tramp
02-09-2008, 13:57
Destroying Angels are about as bad as bad gets

Shewie
02-09-2008, 13:58
A good reminder to all of us

My sympathy`s with the whole family and let`s hope they all make a full recovery.


Rich

Mungo
02-09-2008, 14:03
Oiks. That's not good:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/7593032.stm

I guess I'll need to be especially careful on my trips:

http://mungobah.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-special-friends-dunkler-shirmpilz.html

Hmmmm....

Mungo

Tadpole
02-09-2008, 14:13
the press Association are saying it was the rare fungi Cortinarius speciosissimus, or deadly webcap
Wika claims that "the first symptoms usually do not appear until 2-3 days after ingestion and can in some cases take as long as 3 weeks. The first symptoms of orellanine poisoning are similar to the common flu (nausea, vomiting, stomach pains, headaches, myalgia, etc), these symptoms are followed by early stages of renal failure (immense thirst, frequent urination, pain on and around the kidneys) and eventually decreased or nonexistent urine output and other symptoms of renal failure occur. If left untreated death will follow."
Not nice, not nice at all.

xavierdoc
02-09-2008, 14:20
There but for the grace of god go I! I ate wild mushrooms at the weekend; took longer to id the fungi than it did to find them. (see my other post)

Best of luck to them -at least it wasn't phalloides (small mercy, I suppose).

Singeblister
02-09-2008, 15:27
Hope he gets well soon, thats one of the reasons i never eat anything I am 101% sure about Mushrooms scare me

xylaria
02-09-2008, 16:45
I wonder what they thought they were, it must be difficult foraging on another continant. Generally I avoid anything with reddy brown gills, so do must polish people, which says something about webcaps.

fools webcap looks like this (http://www.kki.pl/zenit/grzyby_spyt/ga102.htm)

Hope they all recover.

Toddy
02-09-2008, 16:56
I thought that immature Destroying Angels could look like puff balls ? Yes / No ?

Nasty thing to get wrong for dinner though :( Hope everyone recovers well.

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest
02-09-2008, 17:00
I find I cannot eat a wild mushroom and enjoy it if its been ID`ed by myself or someone I know. hence I dont see the point in eating them because it defeats the object as causes me too much anxiety. maybe one day when Im properly trained in this area. I love to look for them, but i wont eat them. Hope he gets better. Is it possible to survive without long term organ damage?

sharp88
02-09-2008, 17:10
The macdonald enclyclopedia of mushrooms and toadstalls describes principal effects as damage to liver, kidneys, spinal cord, intestinal upset, fever, chill, headache and muscular pain, with a duration of 1-5 months, often being fatal. He must be going through hell.

xylaria
02-09-2008, 17:16
I thought that immature Destroying Angels could look like puff balls ? Yes / No ?

Nasty thing to get wrong for dinner though Hope everyone recovers well.

cheers,
Toddy
The most immature amantia when cut in half still have basic gill features visable, very like the mushrooms you get in chinese food. Paddy straw mushroom even grow in a bag like amantias yet a puffballs are always solid and uniform. There is cases of immature amantias being eaten, i can't understand the mistake.

N. America seem to have less toxic species, and americans that collect fungi are a lot bolder than europeans because of it. Storms (bless:) ) list of fungi that he had eaten has species I wouldn't ever eat, because they are too close to deadly poisonious ones.

gregorach
02-09-2008, 17:46
I'm confused - was it Destroying Angels or Deadly Webcaps? I have to admit I've always wanted to find a Destroying Angel...

saddle_tramp
02-09-2008, 18:11
I'm confused - was it Destroying Angels or Deadly Webcaps? timesonline have edited thier report now, so seems it was deadly webcaps. . . ive never heard of them before

fishfish
02-09-2008, 18:19
a candidate for the Darwin awards??

Daegurth
02-09-2008, 18:27
nah, he wasn't being utterly and hilariously retarded, just a lapse of caution. hopefully it won't put him off wild mushrooms permanently.

gregorach
03-09-2008, 12:02
timesonline have edited thier report now, so seems it was deadly webcaps. . . ive never heard of them before

Me neither... It's certainly not one that I'd recognise as dangerous - but then again, it's also not one I'd recognise as edible either.

Just goes to re-enforce the motto: "If in doubt, leave it out."

Shewie
11-09-2008, 23:36
Has anybody heard how this guy`s getting on ??

I presume no news is good news though

I just wander how his lungs and kidneys have stood up to their hammering.


Rich