PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Merino ....

bikething
11-11-2007, 11:36
..but is it any good ????

popped into a mountain warehouse store on Friday and they were having a closing down sale ...
amongst the other stuff on offer were these :

baselayer tops (http://mountainwarehouse.com/shop/product/products_id/3223.html)at 24.99 and baselayer bottoms (http://mountainwarehouse.com/shop/product/products_id/3224.html) at 19.99 , both in 210 g/cm2 made by "Parallel"

Has anyone got any experience of this particular make??

cheers
Steve

Dougster
11-11-2007, 11:45
No, but the spec looks good. Have you had a look at Chocolatefish too?

bikething
11-11-2007, 11:52
No, but the spec looks good. Have you had a look at Chocolatefish too?
yes but i vaguely recall some comments that they tend to be a bit short in the arms and legs...

Dougster
11-11-2007, 12:03
yes but i vaguely recall some comments that they tend to be a bit short in the arms and legs...

That they are, Howies are the other way around. Icebreaker seems best in that respect. It's got to be worth ordering them as a risk, if they aren't good you could just send them back.

SimonM
11-11-2007, 12:45
The patron saint of shoppers - St. Michael does a good merino base layer.

Simon

jonquirk
11-11-2007, 13:06
I have the top that I bought last year. I am very happy with it and will buy the leggings sometime soon. I have no issue with the sleeve length although my reach, when climbing, shows that I have quite long arms (positive ape index!)

John Fenna
11-11-2007, 13:30
I like short arms on clothes!
I am 5'6" tall with a positive "Ape Index" but a 44" chest and a 171/2" neck (too much time in the gym!) and if I get a shirt or jacket to fit my chest/neck I always seem to have cuffs down to my fingernails!
With a 38" waist (its all muscle...guv) and 28" inside leg I have similar probs with trousers... ever heard of "articulated shins"? - thats what I get with trousers with articulated knees!
Lets have more clothing with shorter cut arms and legs!

Timinwales
11-11-2007, 15:06
Had some base layer stuff from MW but not merino, I got long sleved tops on two for one last year and they have been top (MW own brand) my lad has had one or two // bits and they seem good quality and hard wearing (they are not falling apart yet and he's 15 so thats a break through).
John I usally end up with 3/4 sleaves and articulated thighs seems unless you fit the average size criteria then it's spend a fortune on kit or hope you drop lucky at a retail outlet.
For anyone in or near to Cornwall I can reccomend Trago Mills craghoppers strides for a tenner!!!
Cheers Tim

bikething
11-11-2007, 15:14
For anyone in or near to Cornwall I can reccomend Trago Mills craghoppers strides for a tenner!!!
Cheers TimReally ??? I'll have to pop in next time i'm returning to the Plymouth office (don't tell the boss :27: )- I regularly drive past the Liskeard and Newton Abbot branches :D

Back on topic - i've just been for a spin on me bike and bought a set. - once i've had a cup of tea i'll let you know how the build quality compares to Ulfrotte

Timinwales
11-11-2007, 15:36
Really ??? I'll have to pop in next time i'm returning to the Plymouth office (don't tell the boss :27: )- I regularly drive past the Liskeard and Newton Abbot branches :D

Back on topic - i've just been for a spin on me bike and bought a set. - once i've had a cup of tea i'll let you know how the build quality compares to Ulfrotte

The big one near Bodmin if memory serves few months back now but excellent value.
BOT will be interested to hear how the merino fares as have MW outlet on the way to and from work ;)
Cheers Tim

bikething
11-11-2007, 17:17
The comparison will be between the MW (Parallel) 210 gm/cm kit and Ulfrotte 200g/cm bought last week - in both cases the top is
size medium, the leggings are a large - strange I know, but it works for me :p

I have not had the chance to try either in the field yet, so can only comment on sizing and build quality at this time.

Initial thoughts are as follows:

Material weave : The 2 manufacturers are quite different in that the Ulfrotte uses a bigger weave, and has a terry-toweling effect on the inside,
not dissimilar to the well-known Norgie tops. The outer serface is a medium knitted finish, like a lightweight pullover.

The Parallel kit is a much closer weave and produces a material that is noticeably thinner, even though it claims 10g/cm more weight.
The material has the same finish on the inner and outer faces, being somewhat similar in weight and texture to the Helly-Hansen Lifa
style tops, but without the scratchiness.

Weight - Having weighed the tops on the kitchen scales, the Ulfrotte comes in at 310g, against the Parallel weight of 275g. This is despite the
Parallel claiming a heavier density. This is mainly due ( I think ) to the different cut of the tops. (see below)

Size and fit : When laid one on top of the other it becomes obvious that the Ulfrotte is cut bigger, with a longer body incorporating a drop-tail
and also slightly longer sleeves. The body is also more roomy on the Ulfrotte. That said, the sleeves were still an acceptable length on the
Parallel kit (as were the legs on the leggings), the Ulfrotte just had about an inch more safety margin. Due to the stretchines
in the material both sets provided a snug fit with plenty of coverage of my ample surface area :o

Build quality : Both sets were produced to a high standard, with all seams nicely finished and no rough edges or weak spots to be seen on either.

My initial feeling is that the Ulfrotte will be warmer as it has a bigger volume of trapped air, but i will have to wait until field testing to confirm or refute this.

Considering a full set costs only a fiver more than the ulfrotte top on it's own I don't think i've wasted my money :) - and i can always use it under my biking leathers where the Ulfrotte will be too bulky :D

BushTucker
11-11-2007, 17:27
Blimey Mr Fenna.

My neck is just short of 19" im 5 feet 8 and built like a budda and have the same probs, if it fits my neck then it doubles as a bivvi bag to others, lol

Timinwales
11-11-2007, 17:31
Thanks for the write up Steve,
looks like a detour is in order on the way home from work tomorrow ...
Cheers Tim

bikething
11-11-2007, 17:36
Thanks for the write up Steve,
looks like a detour is in order on the way home from work tomorrow ...
Cheers Tim
amongst the other stuff they had were merino hiking socks :D - shame they only had 1 pair in my size :rolleyes:

EdS
11-11-2007, 21:30
both Chocolatefish and Howies are made in New Zealnad still, Icebreaker are a Chinese based company.

Personally I think both are better gear then Icebreaker

Dougster
11-11-2007, 21:57
I have to agree with you Eds but did you know Macpac returns went DOWN after they moved to China?

Howies are my favourite for merino and t-shirt, but only during sale time.:rolleyes:

Caetera-desunt
21-06-2011, 14:44
both Chocolatefish and Howies are made in New Zealnad still, Icebreaker are a Chinese based company.

Update to an old thread - Howies is not made in New Zealand - was taken over by Timberland/Smartwool and recently by another company. Hasn't been NZ made for a long time.

Whosever you buy, if you buy cheap your not getting the real stuff. End of story. Real superfine merino is not cheap as a raw material, so its not going to be cheap as clothing. There's a load of crap coming in from China now under various labels. Think theres only ChocFish left, in the UK anyway, thats the real thing.