PDA

View Full Version : Camera question

tommy the cat
27-09-2007, 21:32
Right with my Canadian trip pending thinking about buying a Canon Eos dslr.
Question is ,been offered some free lenses that are off an old canon slr camera which some 20years ago cost a fortune can you still get a screw to bayonet converter? The Eos I take it is a bayonet?
I know the lenses are good and I pressume they will work (slightly diff I know)
Ta Dave
Sorry just thought this should be in kit chatter! doh

British Red
27-09-2007, 21:37
Dave,

I've used 35mm Eos Lenses on an Eos Digital without difficulty. If the lenses you have been offered aren't AF (Autofocus) Canon lenses I suspect that they would not be compatible with an EOS digital although I'm sure one that a more expert opinion will be forthcoming

Red

tommy the cat
27-09-2007, 21:49
Quick reply fella. Hmmnn didn't think of that! Its been a long time since I've messed with a slr then it was the Olympus om10 that was my weapon of choice!
As for dslr's am a complete virgin......just like the idea of editing on the computer and bunging them on the net.Ta for the reply will check Dave

British Red
27-09-2007, 21:52
No worries Dave - I have a Canon Eos DSLR and its a cracking bit of equipment. Not wildly suitable for Bushcraft due to size and weight issues but a superb camera.

Red

Ogri the trog
27-09-2007, 22:30
We had an old EOS 500 slr
and I pondered for ages as to whether the old lenses would fit the new DSLR. I ended up taking the old lenses to Jessops and asked if I could try them on a EOS 400D - no problems from them or from the lenses, which worked a treat and saved a packet on replaceing the entire set-up!

ATB

Ogri the trog

British Red
27-09-2007, 22:32
Okay thats spooky.

We had an old EOS 500 slr and I pondered for ages as to whether the old lenses would fit the new DSLR. I ended up taking the old lenses to Jessops and asked if I could try them on a EOS 400D - no problems from them or from the lenses, which worked a treat and saved a packet on replaceing the entire set-up!

This is exactly what we did - word for word - even took the lenses in - to Jessops.

Spooky

Red

bikething
27-09-2007, 22:34
The EOS system is, as you say, a bayonet fitting, with all the shutter / focus electronics and mechanics built into the lens. The earlier system is not directly compatible.
You can get adapters to go from screw thread (42mm?) to EOS fitting, but you won't get focus or aperture control as this used to be controlled from the camera body - you'll have to set them manually (if possible) and will probably get a lens error on the camera. (I found this out with a cheap 500mm mirro lens with an adapter - I have to use sellotape over 2 of the contact pins to stop the metal adapter ring shorting them out)

also, watch out for non-canon lenses - not all of them (especially older ones) are compatible - I had to replace two sigma lenses when i switched to digital (10D) as they weren't compatible, and couldn't be re-chipped to suit the new camera, and also had to have a 100-400 sigma zoom rechipped at a cost of around 80 IIRC.

HTH
Steve

tommy the cat
28-09-2007, 19:41
ta for all that d