PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Air Conditioner (Not bushcrafty)

fredcraft
10-05-2007, 18:00
Not bushcrafty at all, but since I know that many of us are on a tight budget to answer their needs, I decided to share the information, as it might well be appreciated by those, like me, who cannot stand 35C+ temperatures without something to cool me off ! :cool:

I found this site (http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~gmilburn/ac/) made by a university student in canada who gives intruction how to build a simple AC with very few materials (with some that can be salvaged around the house). There are also instructions how to improve the system at minimal costs !

Price tag for materials : 25$CAN which comes to approx 12 quids ! :deal:

xylaria
10-05-2007, 18:17
That is really useful to know, the British version of air conditioning in homes is to open the window. I am not joking. Last year we got temperatures of 35c and I thought I was going to die. I not sure would be to bothered to make the whole AC unit unless I really needed to though. What i did last year we had mate came back from his travels who said in Israel they put damp sheets across open windows to cool the air. It worked ok but not as good as frozen sheets across the window. :cool: No extra electric cost either.

fredcraft
10-05-2007, 19:11
That is really useful to know, the British version of air conditioning in homes is to open the window. I am not joking. Last year we got temperatures of 35c and I thought I was going to die. I not sure would be to bothered to make the whole AC unit unless I really needed to though. What i did last year we had mate came back from his travels who said in Israel they put damp sheets across open windows to cool the air. It worked ok but not as good as frozen sheets across the window. :cool: No extra electric cost either.

Ya, perhaps you are right, I don't know much about temperatures in UK and for many, a simple open window can do the trick. I know that where I live, I couldn't stand a summer without an AC, especialy in the evening. Then again we always have relatively high humidity levels which gives us the impression that it's 10C more than the forcast temperature outside.

EdS
10-05-2007, 19:26
We got thte other problem - keeping the place warm. In summer it gets up to reasonably cool.

tomtom
10-05-2007, 19:34
We got thte other problem - keeping the place warm. In summer it gets up to reasonably cool.

So put the ends of the pipes in the kettle instead of a bucket of ice water.

:D

TT

dommyracer
10-05-2007, 19:35
I'm not a fan of A/C. I'd rather just have the house the same temperature as it is outside so I can acclimatise rather than move from hot to cold to hot again.

The temperature in shops is a pet hate of mine - you go on holiday to Florida for the hot weather, and when you go shopping you have to take a jumper because the AC in the shops is freezing cold.

And xmas shopping in the UK, you wear your big coat because its cold outside then go into the shops and immediately break a sweat because the heating is up full blast and all the shop staff are walking around in little skirts and vest tops.

[/rant]

fredcraft
10-05-2007, 19:51
I'm not a fan of A/C. I'd rather just have the house the same temperature as it is outside so I can acclimatise rather than move from hot to cold to hot again.
[/rant]

I know what you mean, and it's a great technique to catch a cold in the summer :D

For my part, the time that it's most crucial to have at least a refreshing breeze (when the wind is not enough in the evening or at night when temperature goes down) is when I'm going to bed. I don't like to be litteraly glued to my bed sheets.... especialy when I just took my shower :)

xylaria
10-05-2007, 20:17
Ya, perhaps you are right, I don't know much about temperatures in UK and for many, a simple open window can do the trick. I know that where I live, I couldn't stand a summer without an AC, especialy in the evening. Then again we always have relatively high humidity levels which gives us the impression that it's 10C more than the forcast temperature outside.

35C!!!!! when it never used to go above 28c we need air conditioning!! but our homes aren't built with it in. So building our own makes some sense but wasting electric to keep cool when it is using the electric that is making the global warming that's heating things until it 35c........ ..... AAgghh you are a smart bloke you work it out. :drive:

As for UK temperatures if goes above 25c all blokes get their beer guts out :( . If goes above 30c everyone wags work and lies in the park :) . In the last five years we had a few days most years where it hits 35c and that means it is the end of the world is nigh so time to blame some else quick :D :drive: :confused:

fredcraft
10-05-2007, 20:34
35C!!!!! when it never used to go above 28c we need air conditioning!! but our homes aren't built with it in. So building our own makes some sense but wasting electric to keep cool when it is using the electric that is making the global warming that's heating things until it 35c........ ..... AAgghh you are a smart bloke you work it out. :drive:

As for UK temperatures if goes above 25c all blokes get their beer guts out :( . If goes above 30c everyone wags work and lies in the park :) . In the last five years we had a few days most years where it hits 35c and that means it is the end of the world is nigh so time to blame some else quick :D :drive: :confused:

Lucky we are to have a source of clean electricity then. Most of the electricity we use in Quebec is hydro-electricity. Of course there are impacts on the environment (to build dams, you need to flood big areas), but once the dam is built, we have access to a renewable and clean source of energy ! :togo: More and more wind and solar power projects are also being developped as we speak.