PDA

View Full Version : karrimor 45

walker
30-11-2006, 17:29
how much kit do other members get into there karrimor 45 ltr's inc or not inc side pockets , and how long have they managed to stay away from home in comfort with just what they were carrying in it.

any suggestons would love to know

British Red
30-11-2006, 17:45
walker,

I think the Sabre 45 is a fantastic "covers most bases pack". The pack without pockets and the sides "zipped in" is an large daysack. Expaned its a good "overnight" size and with pockets is a full 65-70l size. I spent 14 days on Skye with three "resupply" stops at the Youth Hostels using a 65l sack many years ago. I tend to do more shorter trips now, but I believe you could manage for 4-5 days comfortably out of a Sabre 45 with pockets (and that was using a tent, trangia, sleeping bag, mat and carrying all food and fuel). Water was gathered en route and puritabbed. I guess I reckon if you were prepared to pare things to basics a week would be do-able. Much beyond that, the weight of fuel and food will become prohibitive I think

Just my thoughts

Red

gregorach
30-11-2006, 17:57
Yeah, it's definitely food and fuel that are the limitations. I reckon I can pack all the kit I need for a more-or-less indefinite period into (OK, and onto) the bag itself. Heck, I went to Australia for a year with a 65L pack, and I took plenty of clothes and a fairly bulky sleeping bag... ;)

billycan
30-11-2006, 19:46
I think its a great rucksack, i can manage a week at a time on my instructor course i am doing at the moment. Even this time of year with bulky clothing/sleeping bag and go lite tipi and stuff you wouldn't normally take because of the course requirements etc.
So all in all pretty versatile.
I find that whatever the size of the rucksack, you nearly always end up filling it up, so best to keep it small and avoid taking too much. :lmao:

KenC
30-11-2006, 21:33
I'm hoping for one for Xmas from 'er indoors just for this reason.

Seems to be the right combination of size (enough), durability (lots) and weight (not much). I can get a couple of nights away with a 32L pack, even in some pretty poor weather, so I figure 45L without pockets is enough for a week in the summer, and with pockets for longer or for winter. It's one third of the weight of the 60-100 version.

walker
01-12-2006, 17:19
sounds like you lot get quite far in one with some kit

Spacemonkey
01-12-2006, 18:08
I find it fine for weekends away but for longer i use the Sabre 75 as the belt and back is far superior to the 45. It's not much bigger to look at but has a lot more useful capacity, and you don't have to fill it. You also don't have to pack so tight and precise either...