Your opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Hi Folks,

I'm just about to buy my first general purpose knife (for a long time). I've been looking around for weeks and like the idea of a custom knife (Bison; Bearclaw etc) but I don't think I'm willing to wait the time it takes to make the knife. Also not sure about the high prices.

I've been looking more and more at the EKA Nordic W11, and would appreciate any advice on this. I haven't seen any comments about this knife yet. I might get a smaller more manageable knife later to complement this one.

If you think that I should really wait and get one of the cutoms because its significantly better, then I will probably do this. But I need your help.

Cheers

Pablo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EKA-Nordic-W1...Z6573727948QQcategoryZ475QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Aug 30, 2005
they are i nice knife dead easy to sharpen hold an edge pretty well thing is though its already well over the odds on evilbay! check out www.heinnie.com theyve got them for 67.95 including postage which is less than it would be on ebay and the servise is excelent, or if your quick go to www,extremeoutdoorgear.co.uk and co to clearance , knives .35% and get a northstar 4 £60 you wont be disapointed hope this helps

The Northstar is great if you have small hands as it's a tiny knife. For a first knife I would definately save my money and buy a Frost Mora 'Training ' knife. You can see them on www.raymears.com for about £10 IIRC. Don't be put off by the price as it will do all you need for bushcrafting and is a good knife to practice sharpening on as for the price, it doesn't particularly matter if you try something that doesn't work and you mess the blade up. I have one and it's easily as sharp as any of my more exotic custom built knives. It's also a good knife to have around as a back up to lend to people.

By the way, if you have a search around, you can actually get the Mora for even less than that as well

cant go wrong with the mora training knife,you can customise it yourself and if you do mess it up its only a tenner or less. ;)
frosts.jpg
[/IMG]

daveymonkey

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2005
ive got the eka nordic, well worth the money and it comes shaving sharp out of the box buy one and you wont be disappointed!

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Pablo said:
I've been looking more and more at the EKA Nordic W11, and would appreciate any advice on this.
Hi Pablo,
A friend of mine has a Nordic W11, and personally, I think they are very nice knives. It has a very comfortable handle and nice and grippy, the finger groove fits just right. The blade is a perfect length and has an overall purposeful appearance. The blade does seem to catch the sheath very slightly at the top when you withdraw the knife, but only a bit and I can't see it as being a problem.
On the top edge of the blade there is a thumb grip which, again, fits very well, and feels comfortable to use. The weight is right as well.

I think for the money, it would be very difficult to find a knife as good as that. He only paid around £50, (benefit of living in Jersey-no VAT).
You could find a knife fairly cheaply from America, but you'll probably have to wait a while.

I think you'll be happy with a Nordic. It definitely has potential to become an "old faithful".

Cheers, Julian.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Pablo you should also check out the Helle Eggen.

433_3317_1.jpg

At around £40 it's priced between the entry level knives like the Mora's and the more expensive bushcraft standards like the Woodlolre or the Fallkniven F1.

433_3327_1.jpg

Similar in size to a Woodlore or an F1 ,it's a class piece of kit and one that's both traditional looking and well suited to bushcraft duties.

rb

rapidboy said:
Pablo you should also check out the Helle Eggen.

433_3317_1.jpg

At around £40 it's priced between the entry level knives like the Mora's and the more expensive bushcraft standards like the Woodlolre or the Fallkniven F1.

433_3327_1.jpg

Similar in size to a Woodlore or an F1 ,it's a class piece of kit and one that's both tradirional looking and well suited to bushcraft duties.

rb
nice knives ,can you recommend best place to get one?cheers.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Bit more thinking and looking to do yet, but I managed to handle an EKA Nordic H8 (smaller than a W11) and a Helle Folkenkniven. Both very nice but was drawn more to the Nordic as I have small hands. The blade of the Nordic is quite thick (I guess 4mm) and would be up to some harsh treatment. As I originally thought, it might be better to get second smaller and thinner blade for intricate work at a later date.

I will definately take up advice about the Mora to practice sharpening.

Thanks again.

Pablo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE