your first knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
First knife was a little folder given to me by my uncle when I was a little lad and I still have it now,I think it was made by a Canadian company called Herb Simmons,it could do with being refurbished if thats the correct word.But my first proper knife bought with the outdoors in mind was a Mora and Its still the only knife I use.I do hanker after a Falkniven f1 I have to confess though! :D

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
My first knife was a Victorinox driver, my Father gave it to me when I was 6 years old. I'm 21 now, and it's sitting on my desk right next to me. I've had the plastic sides replaced more than once and the blade is a little bit worn down from years of sharpening but for what it's worth, it's not a bad little knife. I have a couple other SAK's laying around, plus a Frosts Clipper, and a Sheffield army clasp knife.

Not a lot of knives, but probably enough!

Adam

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
My first knife was a cheap SAK that I recieved for Xmas from my aunt when I was about 10. I've still got it somewhere although it's a little worse for wear now!
My first fixed blade was a real cheap stainless bowie style knife that I got when I was 14 from a hunting shop in Devon. It was the cheapest fixed blade in there and think it only cost £6. It's very weak and I wouldn't use it for anything other than light work, which is a shame as it holds a surprisingly decent edge.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Can't remember my very first knife, I've had so much rubbish you wouldn't believe, may have been some crappy chinese copy SAK, or a kitchen knife out the drawer, i was desperate for a proper one, but i made do! First proper knife must have been an Opinel no. 7, I was about 6 I think, i've had several and lost nearly as many since. They remain the best knife EVER, given allround performance yada yada IMHO. First fixed blade...that would be the kitchen knife, but after that came the 5in Mora.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
When I was a nipper my mother told me that when I had learned to read that she would buy me a Swiss Army knife, that improved the effort I put into it :D

It had a main blade and a bottle opener as far as I remember.

Later (when I was about 7 years old one of my brothers went to the north cape of Norway on his battered old Triumph and while there he found one of these...

20020521081439240010b.jpg

On his return he gave it to me and I still have it 27 years later :)

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
mine was a little SAK style thing, but I think all it had on it was a blade, a spike and a corkscrew (must have been french :D ) My grandfather always carried one and had a habbit of using it when eating fruit at the table for some reason. I remeber I was full of pride when I too could slice up an apple or whatever it was with my pocket knife too!

Whe I was a kindknifes were my no 1 pocket money priority. I remeber when I saved for a £2,50 locking knife, the little crappy ones with brass bolsters and non-descript wood scales. I loved it. I had a fair few opinels too.

Ben

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
My first knife when I was about 4yrs old was a miniature bowie 1-1/2" blade white pearl coloured handle, just sharp enough to cut cheese, a weiner, bread etc... the next year a Boy Scout folding knife....a tremendous improvement. Many scars to go along with them so far have been cut, slash, stabbed, hacked... some of those by my own ignorance, most by other "wellwishers" :dunno:

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
My very first knife was a old Western brand 3 blade stockman. My Grandfather gave it to me, and yes I still have it. My first fixed blade was a Gerber Mark I boot knife. I have no idea why I bought that knife now. I never used it, I aways ended up using my Buck Knife. Kids huh.... :dunno:

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
As far as i can remeber, my first knife was a leather handled Sheffield made William Rodger's 'Eyewitness' sheath knife, bought by my dad whilst we were shooting at the Queens prize meeting at Bisley (NRA target rifle ranges in Surrey). I must have been 6 or 7. At the same meet another year, the ammunition was being controlled and issued on the range by a Gurkha regiment, a number of whom I spent the odd hour talking to, learning names from their railcards etc. and generally having a great time for a young lad. My dad always told me not to ask to see their kukri, as to unsheath it was to draw blood (and being little, it would have to be their own rather than mine!)

I ended up with my own minature kukri complete with rough leather and brass sheath, in lieu of a proper one which I pestered for all week!

It's a shame now, but I have neither...

M

misant

My first knife was a folder with two blades and a bone handle, don't know the manufacturer. My dad gave it to me when I was very young, six or seven I think. I got in trouble once for having it at school (grade three) and I was told to stop carrying it. I told my dad, who said something like, "that's ridiculous. What kind of boy doesn't carry a knife?" and so I carried it until I lost it. I replaced it with an opinel, around age ten, and then dropped that off a fishing boat on the West Coast of Vancouver Island a few years later.

After that I had a lot of different knives, half of which were probably Moras. Right now I can see four moras within three feet of where I am sitting, plus a few other knives. I'm not a knife nut but I can't imagine not having one, and if, as a parent, I ever have a run-in with the local elementary school staff, I can hear myself asking that old familiar question, "What kind of boy doesn't carry a knife?"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE