Your choice of tinder and why

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Birchbark, fomes, chaga, more birchbark :) reedmace or thistleheads and mugwort

Really depends on what I'm doing with it. If I'm using the firebow then I stuff a clabby dhub with dried mugwort, birchbark and reedmace or thistledown; if I'm trying to draw a fire on then I'll use the firecrackle and birchbark with dried grass. If I want to catch a spark, I'll use fomes or chaga.

atb,
M

Whens the best time for fomes? How do you pick out a good-un? I have quite a bit of this by me but on the ones I've picked out there's not much of the actual useful tinder layer

cheers

Joab

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So far my list comes in as ...

Cotton wool/vaseline candles
Birch bark
Charcloth
dried grass
fireweed (Rosebay Willow Herb) fluff
chippings from carving
old mans beard
chaga
candle wax, bits of used up candles
wire wool which will take a spark from a firesteel, no need for batteries!

As to why, I get on with the first 3 on the list very well; the rest are just about always around me or in a pocket; and I can collect lots of stuff when I'm out.

Can't make feathersticks yet ... I just make heaps of chippings, which are quite good anyway LOL

Never used mugwort, Mary, must give it a go. I do save prunings as tinder though, like thyme, sage and rosemary as well as all the bits that get cut as part of gardening.

Last edited:
How long does it take to catch fire with this method?

depends on the intensity of the sun(usually not a problem in the TOP END of god's own country...) and the size/strenghth of your magnifying glass.... .i
have'nt bothered measuring the time but it does'nt take long: i just collect some DRY droppings and crumble them up a bit (to increase surface area), put them in my tinderbundle, get my trusty magnifying glass out(ca. 20years old)- and about 1minute later---> FIRE!

rabbit, donkey and horse poo are of similiar consistence.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE