Yet another mushroom id.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
There's quite a few fungi in the Highlands which are very rare or non-existent elsewhere in the UK. Whatever you have there is something I've never seen before. I tried posting links to your pictures at the ABFG website, but for some reason nobody can see them without entering a username/password and it is illegal for me to repost the actual pictures.

My best GUESS is that this is Rozites caperata, but this could very easily be wrong.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'm stumped :dunno: ..................I don't think it's the Rozites caperata,(gypsy mushroom).though..as they have a little skirt high on the stalk & from your photos, there doesn't appear to be one & they usually have paler whitish stalks.
It can be difficult identifying fungi from photos & to add to that difficulty, they often change shape & colour through their cycle.

What ever your mushrooms are, I don't think they're common. :cool:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
OK...I sent the pictures to Leif Goodwin, who is a nature/fungus photographer. He suggested Phaeolepiota aurea, and I think he's probably right. Common name is "Golden Bootleg", and it is indeed rare. This is the sort of mushroom that field mycologists get very excited about. It does occur outside the Highlands, but I've never seen one.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
OK...I sent the pictures to Leif Goodwin, who is a nature/fungus photographer. He suggested Phaeolepiota aurea, and I think he's probably right. Common name is "Golden Bootleg", and it is indeed rare. This is the sort of mushroom that field mycologists get very excited about. It does occur outside the Highlands, but I've never seen one.

Well if he want me to post him one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE