Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
I'll second that......and you wont believe this, but I was just practicing in my garage with sycamore!!

Sycamore.......old faithful!

well done

stevo

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Fffaaannnttassticcc!!!

Well done. It is a fab feeling. Try some other woods, try different sizes of wood, show it off to some friends. It all helps make it a skill rather than a one off.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
warthog1981 said:
I just managed to light a fire with a bow drill that i made sycamore on sycamore :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Fantastic news, well done mate :You_Rock_ I have to say that I like Sycamore, I've made a few sets out of it and all of them have done me well.

Rich is right though, try some other woods etc...you can always come back to the set you know works if you need a moral boost :D

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I managed my first fre by friction a couple of months ago and there's not a feeling like it. Well done.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
warthog1981 said:
I just managed to light a fire with a bow drill that i made sycamore on sycamore :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

oh Bug**r but thanks for the heads up I will get some sycamore then :-(

no I am glad someone can light a fire.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
There is very little that will be as pleasing to the eye as that first flickering flame that you managed to create by friction. My first success with the bow drill came just before Christmas and I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling of achievement.

Well done Warthog! :red: :notworthy :burnout:

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Nice one mate! :You_Rock_

:D :D Yet another person who can light fire by friction befor me!?!?!? :D :D

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
:D well done :D now the bad news :sad6: you will become obsessed with different types of wood and natural materials to make your sets up and will bore everyone close to you with your fire by friction achievments BUT AINT IT GREAT FUN :You_Rock_ :D :You_Rock_ :D :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think sycamore must be the best, it's what I first achieved success with. A tip that someone else here also uses, although I can't remember who, if you are trying to find new woods and want to know if they will work. Take some home and carve them down, stick them into the chuck of a power drill and go for it!!! It'll prove if it will work, and then you won't waste so much time trying to find the proper woods!!!! Use Binford power tools... MORE POWER!!!!!

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
cheers everyone :) i found geting the ember easy but had difficulty in geting my tinder to light i was using birch bark very fine shavings

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
I find birch bark not all that great as a tinder for use with embers.....not fiberous enough...it dont really smoulder that well either....its great once its going and its good to add to a small flame to enlarge it but........use something like honeysuckle bark, juniper bark, cedar bark, for the bulk of the tinder bundle. buff it up really well.....make it really fiberous....and put some downy material in the centre where you put the coal....like thistle down, cat tail down, this will really take to the ember well.........make you tinder bundle large too, grapefruit size...too often you see piddly wee tinder bundles, nae use to man nor beast..

keep at it..it gets easier!!

stevo

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Great achievment Warthog, :You_Rock_

I've found the tinder part also quite tricky. Got only three out of five embers to light myself. Now I am struggeling with the cords of my bow. They seem to melt away really quickly.

Bob

RGRBOX

Forager
One thing I found with the bow/drill workout.. is that as you go along working, you find out all of your mistakes, and you improve your technique. You start out with a heavy drill, and then realize that a lighter one is better. You soon find out that too much work in the begining, will wear you out, and just as your about to have an ember, your worn out,and can't finish it off.

I need to find some sycamore, and get busy...

Congrates¨

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE