Yerba Mate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Does anyone drink Yerba Mate? What does it taste like and is there a natural, UK equivalent? I mean a local plant that can be used instead?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tried it (got my own gourd and silver straw and all)...... nearly redecorated the livingroom with the part digested contents of my stomach.
It is a foul brew that reminds me of nothing more than silage liquer - which is widely available in Britain!
The remains of the packet went in the compost bin!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like it :D and it improves..........you're supposed to keep topping up the gourd and use it all day :)

It tastes green, but it you drink too much too quickly you'll get a buzz of white headedness.......like too much caffeine :dunno:

UK equivalent ? Thing is that so many of the plants that could be used like this are 'contra indicated' nowadays.
Sandsnakes or Listenclear might know better than I do. Personally I find a mix of berry leaves, a bit of sage, some catnip and some meadowsweet works fine.

Interesting to hear what others might use :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE