Wych Elm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Wych Elm's are more common up north they are more common because they are more resistant to Dutch elm disease than the other Elms.

Mitch

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
MitchelHicks said:
Wych Elm's are more common up north they are more common because they are more resistant to Dutch elm disease than the other Elms.

Mitch

Not strictly true, whilst the fungus responsible carries and releases toxins which are a contributory factor, I've always been of the opinion that whilst all elm are more or less sucesible to the virulent DED strain, the fact that wych elm is usually found in the wetter areas of the UK means that they can counter the fungus that bit better.

The mechanics of DED is that the metabolism and water transport are disrupted physically [ie blocked] by the fungus and the the tree literally finds itself in a drought and succumbs to the toxins also present.

Fact is that wych elms in the drier south and east succumb just as rapidly as any other elm

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
Snufkin said:
I believe it is a fungal disease that is carried by a beatle.

Ringo or Paul?

sorry

Though it may be wise to debark the tree in situ so as not to transport the disease.

please please do that, and sterilise your cutting tools with meths afterwards, tools will carry DED from one tree to another.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
MitchelHicks said:
Well im no expert I just read it in the Collins gem Trees book.

Mitch

heehee

Most of my info came from 'Strouts and Winter -Diagnosis of ill health in trees' :D , so not much difference there really

although I did run the DED management team in E Sussex for while in the '80's and now work as Tree Officer for the County Council, so I get to see what is happening around me... but I'm no expert on the subject either. for that you need to contact the FC at Alice Holt.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Don Redondo said:
heehee

Most of my info came from 'Strouts and Winter -Diagnosis of ill health in trees' :D , so not much difference there really

although I did run the DED management team in E Sussex for while in the '80's and now work as Tree Officer for the County Council, so I get to see what is happening around me... but I'm no expert on the subject either. for that you need to contact the FC at Alice Holt.

Well thats the last time I rely on a book for knowledge lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE