ww2 aircraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Bob said:
Well that answers my question then !!!! - talk about findings answers in unexpected places :D

Yesterday I happened to be in the garden when a Dakota and a Spitfire flew over, side by side.

Now I've seen the Battle of Britain Flight a few times (been dragged to a lot of airshows in my time!) but this was the first time I've even seen a Spitfire accompanying a Dakota! I never knew there was a Dakota in the BofB group!

Thanks for answering a question I didn't even think to ask!!

Bob :)[/QUOTE

Hi Bob.

This is the exact one and was taken by my good lady at Weymouth on Sunday as it was doing a fly past for Veterans Day.

I had been waiting all weekend for it and was to busy going Coorrrrrrrrrrr to take any myself, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, a really special sight.

Jack.

c47.jpg

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
ChrisKavanaugh said:
I was travelling in Canada and came upon a large farm with an estate sale sign. The family were grumbling about all the 'junk' a late uncle had accumulated. I wandered about behind the huge barn. There they sat in a tidy line, 5 Fairy Swordfish! I couldn't afford to buy any, even at the family's ignorant asking price. I did make a phone call to a local flying club who rescued the lot. Years ago Adolph Galland was at an airshow and flew one of the Spanish BF109s. The announcer was all excited when he did barrel rolls right off the deck. What few people will mention is that Battle of Britain ace S/L Lacy was right behind him in a spit matching him move for move after jumping him :D Actor Cliff Robertson owns two Tiger Moths at a country airport just north of me. But what I want is the rumoured 60s vintage Rolls Royce in new England somebody stuffed a merlin engine into. I've heard from several drivers of corvettes, Ferarris etc. who tell of this behemouth coming up behind them at speed and passing them like they were parked. :eek:
Blimey! How'd they fit it in??

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I first heard of this mystery R/R from no less than the late Steve McQueen. I met him through a friend's dad, his art director. Steve came roaring up in a rare C jag, predessesor of the XKE and I offered him a much needed beer. Later I got to drive with him on an errand to Beverly Hills. The exotic car at that time was a clapped out VW Beetle with the then hottest porsche racing engine available. McQueen had a watchcap on and sunglasses. He deliberately picked a fight with some exotic lamborghini on Mullholland highway and left it literally in a cloud of dust. He knew the owner of the R/R but part of the game was keeping it secret. As he explained, the car had been water damaged and written off for parts and the breakers. It was stripped out and most of the car except for the driver's seat was required just to hold the Merlin. External cosmetics were restored and all glass heavily tinted. I asked McQueen how fast the thing could go. He replied with the customary R/R response of "adequate."

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Cheers Jack

That's them all right!! You could hear the Spitfire long before they came into view. I'm not really into machines and engines and all that but it does make a lovely sound!

As the place seems packed with aircraft spotters can anyone answer these questions?!

For the last couple of years round about June / July a couple of Spitfires (and once the BofB Flight) spend around 15 mins or so flying circuits over Dorchester. Is this an annual 'Veterans Day' event ?

Also, I've twice now been treated to an evening of aerobatics by around half a dozen helicopters and assorted aircraft which appears to be focussed on the area around Kingston Maurward College. I'm intrigued as to what it is all about! Anyone know?!!

Sorry - not very bushcraft related! :rolleyes:

Bob :)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Over here The Confederate Airforce is dedicated to restoring and maintaining WW2 warbirds. One of their more famous acquisitions was a P-47 bought from Mexico. They flew it across the border, landed and during the initial inspection realised not only were the 8 .50 Browning MG still installed, but fully armed :eek: My uncle was a P-61 nightfighter. He tagged along for a ride in a Wellington and finally realised it wasn't a training mission when AKAK opened up. His best story was a Marauder pilot boasting to a brit how hot his ship was. An impromptu race was held and he started down the runway. The Mosquito pilot came up alongside him, shut OFF the starboard engine and took off. The Marauder pilot just throttled down and parked it.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I once had to shift some cargo from the back of beyond to the even further back of beyond.

After some waiting about and meeting various people I was able to charter an aircraft to help me do it. I was told that my plane would be waiting for me at the airstrip at such and such a time so I got there early and settled down to wait. A couple of hours later this beautiful canary yellow DC3 landed. It was my plane! It looked like something out of Raiders of the Lost Ark or something as it came in to land over the rainforest.

Once we had got the cargo strapped down they told me that I could either fly in a seat they had strapped down for me in the cargo area or in one of the jump seats behind the pilot. Guess which one I chose! The inside of the aircraft was brilliant - all these pipes and wires all over the place and although there were obviously up to date radios and navigation equipment, the old dials and other instruments in the cockpit looked to be original spec.

I felt like I was in an adventure movie, flying over tropical rainforest in a DC3 at only a few thousand feet. Loved every minute.

I've wanted my own DC3 ever since.

George

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
In New Zealand someone has built a motel suite into a grounded DC-3! We stopped to have a look and it was really cool inside; a double bed high in the cockpit, kitchen and lounge in the forward fuselage, another double bed and loo twards the rear.

:D

We were going to stay but the owners were nowhere to be found, unfortunately.

:(

Danzo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE