Woodlore Firelighting Techniques Course Review: Any Interest?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I am going on this course next week from the 13th-15th.

I know that we've had various debates about RM and Woodlore prices, but if there is interest I shall write a full review once I get back.

Bearing in mind the weather right now then I expect we'll be doing a lot of work on making fire with wet materials...

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I would be very interested in reading your review. I'm out tomorrow night with my step-son on his first ever camp and it look like we will have our work cut out for us when it comes to fire lighting.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
i would be interested
however i know that when i did my fundamental course it was specifically asked that we didn't share too much so's not to spoil it for folk planning to attend it

That is a very good point; thanks for the nod.

I won't go into too much detail then, other than what is in the public domain on the Woodlore site. I'll try and review it from a more personal perspective and hope that people find it useful. Kind of "Did I learn what I hoped to learn?" and "Was it time well spent?" "Would I recommend it?"

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i would be interested
however i know that when i did my fundamental course it was specifically asked that we didn't share too much so's not to spoil it for folk planning to attend it

The cynic in me says its more about them protecting the content so nobody can rip off their ideas. I did London to Paris with a cycle company a couple of years back and they wouldnt give out GPS data so as folk couldnt nick their route. I looked a prize idiot with a £300 gps and a load of pieces of paper with the route on stuffed in my pocket lol.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
If people want to rip off a woodlore course, all they've got to do is go on it and copy. I don't believe it's the syllabus that makes the difference, more the way it's taught. Being taught by people that have gone out and used the skills in real life and can identify where people are going wrong, that's what makes the difference.

Ive done a few courses with different people and must say the one I did with an ex instructor at woodlore was the most informative and enlightening one I've been on. He managed to teach me how to use a bow-drill set and was the first time I've ever got anything from one and it was diabolical weather. Whereas other courses I've been on, even the instructor struggled to get anything, claiming it was a bit damp that day.

Never done a woodlore myself, so can't pass judgement, but I feel I got value for money on the courses I've done with his former training staff. But it all comes down to what suits the individual, I've found someone that teaches in a manner that I find easy to learn from, someone else may hate it.

Look forward to seeing your review

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well, I survived a weekend in the woods in what was truly awful weather, so as promised, here is the writeup.

I won't go into huge detail, instead giving you the summary and some of the things I learned, along with my overall opinion on the whole experience. I hope that some of you find it useful.

Firstly, I'll list some of the things I learned as this was about more than just the course subject.

1. I hate slugs
2. My boots leak
3. I hate mud
4. I hate cold damp feet
5. I hate heavy rain
6. The thought of a trench latrine in a muddy woodland is better than Immodium
7. My DD tarp is excellent, despite a very ropy pitch (see photo)

8. My ex-Army sleeping bag + bivi are also excellent
9. My bow drill stance is good and stable (as told to me by Ray himself!)
10. Wet hands are essential for hand drilling.
11. Did I mention that I hate slugs?
12. Always be collecting and drying tinder; you can never do this too much.

As you might have guessed, the weather was pants. I was actually hoping for some challenging conditions, but there is a limit!

So, what was it all about?

The way I would sum it up is a complete guide to the whole process of making fire, assuming no prior knowledge, but by no means simplified. If you are very experienced at various friction methods then maybe you would take nothing from this course; I would describe myself as sort of competent at bow drilling but not hand drill and I learnt some invaluable tips.

All the expected subjects are covered, laying a fire, striking your last match properly, tinders, kindling and so on, and there is ample time to practice the techniques covered. I worked out that we had around 21 hours of instruction/practice from Friday night until Sunday afternoon so that is pretty good going. Ray himself put in an appearance on both days which was a completely unexpected surprise. He stuck around for a good couple of hours each time, watching, advising and helping as he saw fit. He took a lot of photos of us in action, so at some point I may be in one of his next books(!)

Overall, if you are either a novice, beginner or intermediate fire starter then this is an excellent course; you will learn loads. As to the question of value for money, that is a judgement only you can make.

P.S. Ray Mears shook this hand; I am never washing it again...

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Good review, thanks for taking the time to do it. I've also got a "Mears shaken hand", but mine has been washed - it was about 8 years ago!

Dave

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks chaps, I'm glad you found the review worth your time.

As to meeting Ray; I was on the business end of the bow drill and explaining to one other of our group what I was doing and why (body position, drill speed, pressure etc). I got the ember, then looked to my right and there he was. I was vaguely aware of someone on my right watching me closely but had no idea it was him. It was almost surreal; here I was literally face to face with somebody I've followed for years and has definitely influenced my life.

Meeting him and being complimented on my confidence and basic technique was a memory to treasure.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
That's surreal - like a genie out of a lamp. You fired up the bow drill, and when the smoke had cleared you found you had summoned "The Mears" ;)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That's surreal - like a genie out of a lamp. You fired up the bow drill, and when the smoke had cleared you found you had summoned "The Mears" ;)

Hah!

You could be onto something there.

My first wish would have been for it to stop raining!

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Thanks for the review, as much as I thought really. There's a real sense of completeness with a wood lore course, something I have noticed that is missing in other courses. But is something I got from the course I did down the road from Ray with one of his old boys. Am off to the woods with him again this weekend. Might do a bit of a review myself.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
What a great thread. Thanks to stringmaker and the other contributors. I can only echo that my experiences with woodlore have been entirely positive. (Not related/employee etc)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks for the review, great to hear you got to meet Sir Raymondo..and to shake his hand, no pic of you and the Man ?

You're welcome.

To be honest, I didn't think of it. The weather was so damn wet a lot of the time that my camera was kept in my dry bag in my pack. It would have been a nice keepsake but at least I have the memory of meeting someone I respect hugely; he was also complimentary about my basic bow drill stance and technique so that was even better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE