Woodland Game thats fair game?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Reading on the woody now thanks for the info, i'm hoping to net them, i've been working on getting right a whittled pressure footplate trap and net system, got the makings done nicely it is getting the pressure right and the bait i will be working on this week. Love learning old ways and playing around with my mad ideas on it as the skills develop in hand, landowner informed me he has a freezer full of goodies from his land if i get too hungry.

Sadly that would also be illegal under the WCA 1981

A number of methods of killing, injuring or taking birds are prohibited. These include gins, springs, traps (leg pole traps), snares, nets, bird lime, electrical scaring devices and poisonous or stupefying substances; bows or crossbows, explosives (other than firearm ammunition), any gas or smoke, chemical wetting agent, artificial light, mirror or dazzling device, device for illuminating target or sighting device for night shooting, automatic or semi-automatic weapon (unless it is incapable of holding more than 2 rounds in the magazine), or shotgun with an internal diameter at muzzle more than 1 3/4 inches.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
That's disappointing, i was aware that spring loaded/powered traps were illegal but i was not letting it stop my enjoyment of learning to make them from natural materials i could gather under the thought line of if i need them i want to know how to make them and make them work, is anything oldschool/ traditional still aloud?

This country drives me mad sometimes lol

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
What about my figure four trigger drop weight traps, these banned too?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
under the dictionary definition of a snare it does not fit but i suppose if they legally group it such and stick you with it there'd not be a leg to stand on

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Just stumbled across the Snarewatch website, makes us all sound like baby eating monsters lol

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Snares are fine if free running with a fixed stop. Your best bet for the flying rats is a folding 410 (the Bushcrafters friend). Get a permission signed by the landowner and pigeon, rabbit and squiggle are covered by some Eley fourlongs

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Just fully read the defra legal guidelines for snaring and it doesn't appear my figure four drop weighs are illegal as i have no wire or cord or noose as part of the system and my rabbit snares are legal

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Looks like de-registering my birth and abiding by common law is the only sane way forward here

Common Law Principles:
1) Do not breach the peace.
2) Do not cause anyone harm.
3) Do not cause anyone loss.
4) Do not cause mischief in your promises and agreements.

Only way a man can live free on the land they were born on, thanks Woodstock for pointing me in the right direction of the de-registering myself from being the owned property of the Regis / Realm.

Lots to learn, lots to learn, shakes head in legal confusion

Great article has answered a lot of questions i was asking myself

Last edited:

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Nothing worth eating at the moment, even though we've had a relatively mild winter. Soon, if not already, all the beasts will be busy procreating and bringing up young.

Back end of the year for game, thats worth eating.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
One of those situations where i just acquired permission for to use the land freely and it being so rare i'm gonna be on the land all week, only thing i am sure i'll have no trouble getting are rabbits, just gonna be good to be living outdoors all week again so soon after my last spell

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
If you really want to try pheasant you could always try a roadkill one. As long as you know it's fresh. They seem to everywhere at the moment, I think they're a bit dopey from their spring 'urges' ;)
I had one just this weekend that I knew wasn't old as it wasn't on the road on the way into the village, but was half an hour later on my way home. Bit bruised on one side from the car, broken ribcage too. But as long as the guts haven't burst your good to go! Roasted with some homegrown herbs and wild garlic, delicious!

Jim

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You haven't misunderstood :) Section 1 firearms can only be used for birds on the general licence not game or waterfowl.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Can't see where on the BASC site it mentions the restriction for shooting for the pot - could you quote the reference, please?

From BASC:

Currently the shooting of woodpigeon is controlled by general licences issued by Natural England for England, Welsh Assembly Government for Wales, Scottish Government for Scotland and in Northern Ireland by the NI Environment Agency (NIEA). No individual application is required for a general licence.

The general licences authorise shooting for specific purposes such as: preventing serious damage to crops, vegetables, fruit and foodstuffs for livestock, and for the purpose of preserving public health or public safety. It is important that any shooting complies fully with the terms and conditions of each general licence.

I.e. you can only shoot woodpigeon under the terms of the general licence and that means they can only be shot to prevent damage to crops or to preserve public health and safety. There's plenty more info about if you want to read up on it.

The reason why it matters you follow the general licence (apart from following the law) is that there's been several attempts to tighten up the law recently and if people are seen to be ignoring it it's more likely to be changed.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
That's good to know - I admit as a youngster if it was on the general licence, it got shot but now I leave most species well alone. The wood pigeons will probably try to eat my peas, though, so they'd better look out!

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
One thing about grey squirrel, probably the same for other small game, let it hang for a bit so the fleas drop off, other than that, I found the taste like a cross between lamb and venison. Not much meat and very tough skin.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Looks like de-registering my birth and abiding by common law is the only sane way forward here

Common Law Principles:
1) Do not breach the peace.
2) Do not cause anyone harm.
3) Do not cause anyone loss.
4) Do not cause mischief in your promises and agreements.

Only way a man can live free on the land they were born on, thanks Woodstock for pointing me in the right direction of the de-registering myself from being the owned property of the Regis / Realm.

Lots to learn, lots to learn, shakes head in legal confusion

I'm assuming that is all tongue in cheek?

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
Pheasant is excellent for "cutting" the taste of rabbit (if, like me, you're not too fond of that slightly bitter aftertaste). Pheasant, venison & rabbit makes a great game pie mix. Pheasant stock makes a super tasty soup with an onion, a carrot and some parsley root, a sprig of tarragon gives it that masterchef touch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE