Windy Smithy's Wendy Wood Burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Firstly a huge thanks to all the friendly advice you knowledgeable BCUK members gave in order for us to make a decision on which wood burner stove to buy for our 5m Bell Tent.

Secondly, the praise is only due to the fact that it is a fantastic piece of kit supplied by a lovely couple down here in the South West. They supply all round the UK I’ll add. It’s not down to commission or discounts, it’s just a great stove which I feel deserves som word of mouth. This is normally where people insert blah blah blah. So there you go, consider the blah blah phraseology inserted.

Jon and Amalia from Windy Smithy sent us their “Wendy” wood burner within a day of ordering!

http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/html/woodburners.htm

It is beautifully made, the workmanship is exceptionally high and if you want the truth, it’s just dead cute. It draws well, doesn’t smoke where you don’t want it to (in the tent) and is stable. There are two neat little fixing points on the legs where you can (if you want) peg it into the ground or your base plate (We have a slab of sandstone). The vent on the front works well fully open when firing up the stove and when partially closed helps conserve your wood. The flue and cowl are black as apposed to the usual bright chrome on offer elsewhere. Simple attention to detail like this makes all the difference.

The Wendy has Jon’s Blacksmith’s mark on the oversized hot plate which to me is important: This is a handmade, labour of love, not a mass produced stove. Whilst “shopping around” I found out that a certain bell tent supplier who portrays them selves as hip and cool were originally going to supply the Windy Smithy stoves are not as cool as they make out. The 3rd party tells me this company purchased a Wendy so they could unethically and underhandedly copy the design and now produces and sells inferior copies of the Wendy. A soulless thing to do in our mind!

I should also mention that I hot smoked some garlic down the flue with apple wood. Lovely! So while the Windy Smithy Wendy isn’t warming our tent or heating up a brew I have a second job in mind. I’m going to set her up with some old flexible flue which will go into an even older coal bin. Taaadahhhh – There you have it: A cold smoker instantly installed next to my brewing shed. Sorry garden shed dear. Yum...!

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Just had a quick look at the link, and I will agree it does look 'cute' It looks well made form what I can see, but also looks like it was made to be enjoyed too....It has lovely curves and is very aesthetically pleasing, and not just functional.

I can imagine you sitting around that stove, totally relaxed and at peace, and either telling or listening to a good story!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I've alway's thought this the loveliest little stove, it looks just so... Right!

Which is due to the excellent design and craftsmanship that goes into creating it.

Great choice, I bet you're looking forward to winter!

Just had a quick look at the link, and I will agree it does look 'cute' It looks well made form what I can see, but also looks like it was made to be enjoyed too....It has lovely curves and is very aesthetically pleasing, and not just functional.

I can imagine you sitting around that stove, totally relaxed and at peace, and either telling or listening to a good story!

Storytelling - A wonderful tradition that I certainly don't get to do enough. (As a listener - I tell terrible stories!).........b

Looks brilliant! But I'm intruiged - how did you adapt the tent to vent the flue to the outside?

I fitted a ceramic, heat proof, flashing to the outside http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/html/flashings.htm This flashing bolts (x12) to a matching backplate on the inside. The bolts go through the material by making holes with an awl or similar.

THEN - You have to cut out the circle of tent material remaining! Not for the faint hearted. Once you have chosen wher the flue goes, that's where it stays. I guess if you make an error you just fit another flashing and your tent has 2 options where the stove goes. Or so that's what you tell people!

Go for the measure twice, build once tactic..........hc

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I fitted a ceramic, heat proof, flashing to the outside http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/html/flashings.htm This flashing bolts (x12) to a matching backplate on the inside. The bolts go through the material by making holes with an awl or similar.

THEN - You have to cut out the circle of tent material remaining! Not for the faint hearted. Once you have chosen wher the flue goes, that's where it stays. I guess if you make an error you just fit another flashing and your tent has 2 options where the stove goes. Or so that's what you tell people!

Go for the measure twice, build once tactic..........hc

That looks like a pretty good system - and I think you would be nervous cutting the tent to suit :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE