Will anyone be 'bushcrafting' at the Moot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
At the Moot, does anyone try to survive using bushcraft skills or are we all campers/glampers? Should there be an award for the person who is most reliant on their campcraft skills for survival?
I'd love to see someone who could turn up in a loin cloth, equiped only with a knife and then live in relative comfort without relying on Tesco or modern kit.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I hear what you are saying ID,
The truth is that it is a "teaching & learning" event closely allied with a social gathering.
With visitor numbers into the hundreds, resources and logistics would quickly become compromised, even before you think about gaining hunting permission from the site owners - let alone those who we sub-let it off for the duration.
There are workshops in subjects that range from the very basic up to advanced level - many of which spring up from one person saying "Does anyone want to....?! or "Does anyone know how to...?"
So if you want to learn a skill or have something to share, the Moot is the place!

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah - here we go again with the difference between "survival" and "bushcraft"....
Nesmuck, Kephart and co were exponents of Bushcraft- check out their kit lists for a trip away - no loincloths there!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Would be interesting to watch someone attempt such a feat. I think they would have a somewhat miserable time. Very few resources and bordering a SSSI would add a certain difficulty.

True survival requires vast amounts of natural resources and access to lots of land. If you are going to source enough protein, fat and carbohydrate. Plus many resources may not be found locally.

The moot is a social skills sharing event.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id love to see a savage turn up in a loincloth, trade skills for kit, then discover Tescos...

(but then he would have to get it home.)

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
At the Moot, does anyone try to survive using bushcraft skills or are we all campers/glampers? Should there be an award for the person who is most reliant on their campcraft skills for survival?
I'd love to see someone who could turn up in a loin cloth, equiped only with a knife and then live in relative comfort without relying on Tesco or modern kit.

it'd be easy to do, you'd just zip you self into one of the goliath glamping tents and feast away... probably not get noticed either.

not that id know anything about the glamping tents of course

nothing at all

nope

nothing...

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It would be good but I can't see it happening, the site and surrounding area would not sustain it, well, unless you took some sheep etc but that's not advised.

Sleeping in a shelter, friction firelighting, sourcing water, purifying it, adding some foraged greens etc to meals etc all possible though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It would be good but I can't see it happening, the site and surrounding area would not sustain it, well, unless you took some sheep etc but that's not advised.

Sleeping in a shelter, friction firelighting, sourcing water, purifying it, adding some foraged greens etc to meals etc all possible though.
Ah - the Bushcraft aproach as opposed to the Survival aproach :)
You must get a nice big Smiley with a huge wooden spoon :D I need one!

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I believe some of The Jolly Boys are coming and will no doubt be demonstrating some of the skills refined at recent meets
Where Survival meets Bushcraft and decides to have a beer and practice the Nomadic art of not doing much
By far the best way to do things

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE