Wild Trio of Fruit Chutney

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Has anyone made any decent chutney this year? (Given that the pros amongst you may want to count last year's chutney as you might consider the maturing stage as critical)

Today I foraged hawthorn, blackberry and rowan berries to make my trio chutney. Apart from my springer spaniel getting wedged down a rabbit hole, gathering my berries was a fairly mundane task. Saying that: The sky was blue and I must have drunk at least a pint of tea while out. Life is tough.

From the 2kg of fruit (About 1.4 haws; 0.5 blackberries and 100g rowan) I ended up with only 800ml of chutney! And that's after adding 250g of raisins. My vinegar base was from a failed batch of Ash Key Pickle. Waste not want not. So the spices and cider vinegar had mellowed somewhat.

Do you think 2 months is about right for the chutney to mature before tucking in?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Two months does me fine as a minimum. Personally I'm not sure that keeping chutney for a year helps a whole lot.

EDIT: saying that, I've just remembered the kilo of sloe gin chutney in the cupboard made last year from the sloe gin remains of two christmas's ago!

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
The maturing period for me tends to vary with the chutney. I make a divine (but sadly not even slightly foraged) red onion chutney that is at its absolute best around 4 months old. Definitely wouldn't try chutney until it'd sat at least 6 weeks.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It does vary - I find the harder the material, the longer it takes to mature.

That said, this modern "sell by date" malarky says you can't have a one year old chutney - it would pass its sell vy date (if you sold it)

I do a few - caramleised onion is ever popular, and my spiced apple is always nice with cheese. I do a sweetcorn relish for the less "tang" lovers.

I am into booze prep at the moment and chutneys will follow in a week or two. This place is awash with my cooking pictorials though so I don't think I'll bother recording any this year!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaaah homebrew...my shed is filling nicely. Did 40 pints of porter and 40 of Ruby ale last week. Elderberry wine on the go (18 bottles), damson vodka, bullace vodka and elderberry tincture all comin on well. More beer and wine to go on shortly...just a matter of finding the time!

Nice selection there Red! I love Porter.

I've got some Birch Sap and Sycamore Sap fizz (20 pints); dry Elderflower fizz (20 pints); IPA (30 odd); a golden ale (40 odd); some ginger beer (non alc). Oh and in the shed I've got some Noyau which is a true "must have".

That should last the weekend. The goddesses only know what I'll have to drink next week...b

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Gpt to do a batch of (6%) ginger beer in time for winter - it always goes down well. I'm well behind this year (moving house will do that to you) - but I have a 15' dedicated still room now with a woodburning stove and water on. Good times!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE