Wild Country YuKon Winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jakunen

Native
Well finally got my new bag after having placed an order with Outdoors (the Scout Association mail order shop).
They restructured the company without bothering to think about the fact that a load of people had sent them orders which they would no longer fill...

Anyway, rang the Oxford branch and yesterday it arrived wrapped in several carrier bags and about 2 miles of tape.

When I finally got it out, boy was I impressed!!!

OK, boring tech bits...

The material is soft and warm, the zip baffle is generous and doesn't get caught in the zip.
The shoulder baffle has a draw cord.
The hood has an easy to use draw cord unlike some where you have to fight to pull it tight.
And the bag is HUGE. 215cm or 84 1/2" or SEVEN FOOT LONG!!!:smiley-fa

Tog rating of 9.2, comfort minimum of -9 degrees.:cold2:
Weight 1850g.
Shingle layer terratherm 2 filling.
Water resistant outer.
Pack size (before compression) 40cm x 22cm/15" x 9" .
Shouder width 80cm/ 31.5 inches

And there is a velcro closure pocket that lays above the heart for putting valuables, a flask or whatever you want in. I nearly didn't see it as the material of the flap is the same as the lining.

On to the test...

Anyway, set up the hootchie in the garden, climbed in and settled down for the night.

Woke up about an hour later as one of the neighbours' cats decided she wanted to join me, and went back to sleep.

Woke up about 2 am ABSOLUTLEY ROASTING!!!!!!!!!
Frost was settling on the hootchie, steam was escaping from the bag as I desperately unzipped the bag.:chill:

After sitting on the bench to cool off for about 20 minutes I then retired to my cooler bedroom and waited for my cheeks to stop glowing before finally falling asleep again.

They say its a winter bag, and boy are they right. I do feel the cold a bit, especially in my feet, but this bag was really toasty warm and should keep me snug on the Anglia meet in January even if there's snow on the ground.

Ok, its a little on the big side (15" x 9") and weighs a bit, (about 4lb), but it looks like one hell of a good bag from last nights quick trial, and at only £45 (R.R.P. £69.99) from Camping and Outdoor Centre shops, you can't go wrong with this bit of kit.

Can't wait to get out and really try it out.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Thanks for that Tiso in Belfast is listed as stockist on the Terra Nova site but they also list Greatoutdoors here in Dublin so I'll give them a call. I might also try my local store he always does his best and reasonable.

Thanks again for the tip off.

James

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
No problem I always fancied a bit of caving.

Also on a related funny note I was just read the review of the Nanok bag in this months AT magazine(sorry reading the very import report for my meeting later this afternoon) that there is an No Exit sign in the foot box of the bag. :roll: They didn't say if it's glow in the dark do. :wink:

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE