Waxing traps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grouse

Mar 6, 2011
derbyshire
Using Fenn traps in moorland situations causes the traps to rot in a couple of years due to the acid in the peat. In USA alot of professional fur trappers wax their traps to prolong the life and also to prevent them from freezing up in the winter (resulting in the intended quarry species to run over the trigger without firing the trap - resulting in a missed catch).

I would like to give this waxing of traps a go, but am unable to find a supplier of paraffin wax to melt down and dip my traps in - anybody know of a suppler - or have any ideas on an alternative (beeswax can also be used, but that seems mega expensive??)

Regards Grouse

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
You can buy paraffin wax from craft shops that sell candle making stuff, but I think that if you dipped a fenn trap in it, it would come out quite thickly coated, and might not work properly. The trap wax sold in the USA is yellow like beeswax. You could look at www.nwtrappers.com, or you could try a plastic ignition sealant spray like Damp Start. I tried it as an experiment on a trap and it worked reasonably well, although it did crack off around moving joints.

grouse

Mar 6, 2011
derbyshire
Yes paraffin wax is just candle wax - needs to be unscented!

Prices for the raw material looks very expensive - unless I am looking at the wrong suppliers?

Apparently paraffin wax is okay to use and only goes "clumpy and brittle" if the metal trap isn't heated up to the same temperature as the molten wax.

Ratcatcher, your link is brilliant, many thanks for that - have you ordered from them in the past?

Regards Grouse

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
Wurth do a wax spray that works well. What are you trapping Grouse ? When I buy my fenn traps I hang them out side for at least a year and if I can get away with it I do it for 2 years.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
What's wrong with petrollium jelly? During the summer I guess it'd be useless but it won't freeze... and it's cheap as chips?

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi Grouse, I've only just found Cumberlands, so I've not had chance to order anything from them yet. There's a few things I need for presentations about my work that are no longer available in the UK,so I've still got to see if all of it is on there. If you find you need any advice you can e-mail me on theratcatcher@live.co.uk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE