Wax/oil based boot waterproofing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Madam has had oil spilled on her new Scarpa boots and it's penetrated and stained them.

Years ago I used to use a liquid Nikwax, but all their products are now water based. Anyone know of an oily product she can use to reproof and even up the colour?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Hey buddy, happy new year!
My go to product for the last couple of years has been Effax leather balm.
No mineral oils, best put on with fingers as your body heat melts it and helps it absorb.
Try any equestrian store.
Best.

C

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
Hi! I'd try altberg's leder Gris if the above doesn't work because you can get it with dye colour in it 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thank you guys. I think they're going to lose the Nubuck look, but she can live with that.

C da C, a happy new year to you mate :)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Either grangers g-wax or leder gris for me. Grangers make the altberg stuff and i'm pretty much sure that the standard leder gris is just g-wax with a coloured wax added. G-wax £2 a tin in go outdoors, leder gris about £5 for a big tin on ebay.

Tonyuk

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
I use Obenauf Heavy Duty leather protection.

Or Fibertec Shoe Wax

Or something called Tip-Top leather balsam containing coconut fat, bees wax and lanolin oil.

The Tip-Top stuff is really Tip-Top.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A local lass who keeps a couple of horses has just offered me some Effax. She reckons I'd never get through a 500ml tub of it, she uses about a tub a year and that's on two saddles and all the bridles, so I'm going to give it a go.

All very helpful, thank you gents.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
A local lass who keeps a couple of horses has just offered me some Effax. She reckons I'd never get through a 500ml tub of it, she uses about a tub a year and that's on two saddles and all the bridles, so I'm going to give it a go.

All very helpful, thank you gents.
That is good stuff!
Love the smell of it too...
Good find!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That is good stuff!
Love the smell of it too...
Good find!

Was it you that had one of the green wax Rain Dogs made? (Frog Dogs:lmao:)

We'll see about the smell. I got sent a couple of bits of waxed cotton by TwoDogs so I could see if it would fix my holed Ridgeline smock. The thicker green material was really stinky, it could be screwed into a ball and stay as a ball. And my hands held the wax smell for ages.

Fell, for the smell :). Now Cliff hates this heavy waxed cotton, so much so he said he wouldn't use it on a domestic sowing machine ever again. But he's a good fella, and as the wax is so sticky, I asked him if he could line it too. I can't imagine the cussing as he did the seams, but he was a fantastic bloke throughout.

I must do a review of it soon, it weighs a fair bit, but it's a proper coat. It hangs just out in the enclosed porch and on cold nights it can be picked off the hook and stands unaided on the floor. goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE