Water purification question for a beginner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi, I'm new to this bushcraft stuff and this may sound like a stupid question to you guys, but when you boil water to sterilise it, do you have to drink it within a certain time after to stop re contamination or any bacteria etc re growing?

Cheers

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK!

No, there's no time limit in that sense but you need to keep water clean and if you can sterile if you're going to keep it any length of time without it going green. That isn't easy. Bugs that get in it in from the air are unlikely to do you much harm. The bugs that do you harm are mostly those that have been carried from other people and animals. Once they're killed by boiling they stay dead.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I recently found out about flocculants via the proctor and gamble 'water for africa' campaign. They take all the suspended matter out the water, chemical, organic, toxic, so if thats all out of the water, nothing can regrow, top things, suprised I never heard of them before. You cant see the nutrients always, and they don't kill bacteria already present.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just remember once purified don't put it in a contaminated bottle... sounds obvious but you'd be amazed. Especially when purifying water in the collecting bottle. Untreated water stays on the outside places like the lid threads and can make you sick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE