Water power?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I know in the UK removal of water from a water source above a certain volume requires a licence and a whole set of criteria to meet. Certainly for water supply to your house. A mate lived in a cottage on the family farm and all of them got their water from up in the moors. They had a nice UV and filtration system to keep it all safe too. Just had to pay a fair amount a year as it was classed as extraction.

I have no idea whether a hydro system n is the same. Iirc that strawbridge ex army TV presenter did a homebuilt system and had to get permission for extraction even though I think it fed back into the stream.

There's a load of small scale rural schemes in rural UK. Knoydart has a big one feeding the village at the end. Kentmere in the lakes had an application in years ago to supply the households at the head of the valley I believe. No idea if it was installed. In these situations I think they're a good idea. A mini, local scheme built to supply several houses.

Reactions: Minotaur

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
What about things like water pressure, siphons, and ram pumps?

These types of devices work on the principle of converting energy - like a pulley or a lever in mechanical applications. If you have a large volume of water flowing you can pump a smaller volume higher than the water started in the same way as you can lift a heavy weight a small distance using a lever that you have applied a smaller force to but over a longer distance.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE