Ultralight tackle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johno76

Jan 4, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm not sure if this has been covered before but has anyone had any experience using kit from penfishingrods.com ? I have seen some reviews but still a little skeptical. It's basically a 5' tele spinner with small reel combo and compacts down to only 8 inches. I would be using it mainly for freshwater trout.

Cheers

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Horses for courses really.

I have a couple of telescopic spinning rods for when I'm on my motorbike. I have a small hard case which contains a rod and reel. The link below is the exact combo I have but I also have a small spinning reel that I use instead of the multiplier.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescopic-Lineaeffe-Traveller-Magnetic-baitcasting/dp/B00CA7OB2E

Its a cracking combo and well worth the money. I have caught many a meal with this when I have been out camping and exploring the countryside on the bike. Its just the right size to strap across the bars or shove in a pannier/ backpack.

I also have a Shakespeare telescopic rod that sits in the back of my car, along with a small box of tackle and a spinning reel, for those "waiting for the wife while she shops for shoes" moments. :D It is also good quality and cheap as chips to boot!

I have no experience with the Pen rods so cannot comment on quality.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
There are pen fishing rods and then there are pen fishing rods from the site you listed.
I've had one for a while. Found it very effective. Not to be confused with the many cheap copies - which I have also tried + found to be rubbish.
The ones from penfishingrods.com are in a different league. There are some uk vids on their site. Great company to deal with too.

Just found this on the well known auction site too http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Lineaeffe-Carbon-Telescopic-Rod-2-4m-Spin-Float-Rod-/190310792514

Last edited:

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
There are pen fishing rods and then there are pen fishing rods......................................

Agreed. I bought one a couple of years ago, and for the money the quality is superb. You would not want to play anything more than 2-3lbs on it, but that is not what it is designed for. No doubt there is some rubbish out there as well. Unfortunately I can't remember where mine came from, so maybe I just got lucky, but read reviews if possible before buying.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I've had telescopic spinning rods in the past and never spent more than £20 and done quite well using them. Trouble with telescopic rods is that they're easily damaged one has to be quite disciplined extending and collapsing the rod to get the most out of them. They all break eventually, usually the tip.

I don't bother with telescopic rods these days myself as I'm more into fly fishing and I haven't yet cast with a telescopic or multi multi piece "travel" fly rod that I've found satisfactory, but telescopic spinning rods aren't that action critical and even a cheapy is handy enough for someone on an occasional mission looking to take a rod with.

I think spinning reels and lines are by far the more critical bits of kit to think about in a spinning set up, in a spinning set up the reel; IS the business end. A good reel needn't be expensive and good line is usually not much more cost wise than the crap stuff. Also a half decent reel, if looked after, will usually out last several low cost telescopic rods, mine have.

I've a pal who has the most ridiculously small spinning rod that actually fits in a pocket, made by shimano, the short 8" handle comes off and being the same length as the collapsed rod sections, makes for a tiny package.

I was rather skeptical when he bought it thinking it more gimmick than practical fishing rod and was even more surprised to learn that he'd managed to land a 12lb salmon with it, although my other pal who was with him at the time reported that the whole episode was rather comical, but he held onto it, some how, and the rod came out of it intact, luck being by far the biggest determining factor, apparently.

I was however with him when he hooked and landed a 4lb grilse, I offered to play ghillie but he insisted on landing it himself, so I took the rod for the last bit and i have to say the rod felt more than up to it, quite surprising really.

That rod would make a great hill loch trout'er, if size was a factor and if fishing wasn't the main purpose of the trip.

Personally I'd go for a 5g to 25g cast weight 8 foot, 5 or 6 piece travel spinning rod with carry tube, the tube will look after the rod and can be attached to the exterior of a rucksack (or inside if you want to be low key about having a rod with you), a rod in that class would be much more useful in different situations than the super small rod described above.

Last edited:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I've had telescopic spinning rods in the past and never spent more than £20 and done quite well using them. Trouble with telescopic rods is that they're easily damaged one has to be quite disciplined extending and collapsing the rod to get the most out of them. They all break eventually, usually the tip.

I don't bother with telescopic rods these days myself as I'm more into fly fishing and I haven't yet cast with a telescopic or multi multi piece "travel" fly rod that I've found satisfactory, but telescopic spinning rods aren't that action critical and even a cheapy is handy enough for someone on an occasional mission looking to take a rod with.

I think spinning reels and lines are by far the more critical bits of kit to think about in a spinning set up, in a spinning set up the reel; IS the business end. A good reel needn't be expensive and good line is usually not much more cost wise than the crap stuff. Also a half decent reel, if looked after, will usually out last several low cost telescopic rods, mine have.

I've a pal who has the most ridiculously small spinning rod that actually fits in a pocket, made by shimano, the short 8" handle comes off and being the same length as the collapsed rod sections, makes for a tiny package.

I was rather skeptical when he bought it thinking it more gimmick than practical fishing rod and was even more surprised to learn that he'd managed to land a 12lb salmon with it, although my other pal who was with him at the time reported that the whole episode was rather comical, but he held onto it, some how, and the rod came out of it intact, luck being by far the biggest determining factor, apparently.

I was however with him when he hooked and landed a 4lb grilse, I offered to play ghillie but he insisted on landing it himself, so I took the rod for the last bit and i have to say the rod felt more than up to it, quite surprising really.

That rod would make a great hill loch trout'er, if size was a factor and if fishing wasn't the main purpose of the trip.

Personally I'd go for a 5g to 25g cast weight 8 foot, 5 or 6 piece travel spinning rod with carry tube, the tube will look after the rod and can be attached to the exterior of a rucksack (or inside if you want to be low key about having a rod with you), a rod in that class would be much more useful in different situations than the super small rod described above.

Hi pal any travel spinner rods you recommend other than the expensive shimano exage

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Not all tele rods are rubbish and break to say so is nonsense. I have been using mine since I was abot 11, I am 36 now, yes it was expensive at the time but it goes on every holiday and has travelled all over the world.

Johno76

Jan 4, 2014
United Kingdom
Many thanks for the input guys. I have decided to order one from the U.S. and I will try and give it a good test and then review it on the forum. I have been fishing nearly 30 years and never wanted to use a tele before. I usually fish the fly but need something compact and light as my bergen weight is getting comical lol. I will be lucky to see wild brownies over a pound where im going so it should (fingers crossed) serve me well.

Tight lines.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Think you will enjoy it. They are great to deal with - I had a few questions when I was ordering and they were really helpful + gave good advice via emails. Seen their fly fishing set ups?

Last edited:

Johno76

Jan 4, 2014
United Kingdom
I had a look at their fly combos but honestly had a hard time comprehending how something that small would cast, i'm sure with a bit of practice it would be achievable but it will definitely be a future option if the spinner works out.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I don't fly fish, so can't comment, but they do look interesting.

When I was in the States a couple of years ago I had session with a local chap using a fly. He attached a dust shot to the leader (?) to help with casting. Not sure if this was just him or whether its a common practice over there.

Tight lines! :)

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Hi pal any travel spinner rods you recommend other than the expensive shimano exage

Something like this;

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/aca...pedition_XT_Spinning_Rod_PLUS_Reel_Offer.html

You can find similar for as low as £20 but I've one of these and it's good, the 8' 5g to 30g, and it'll handle all the likely trout fishing situation plus the occasional salmon and light sea fishing duty, plus it comes with a travel tube and the reel deal on that page looks good too. If so inclined; I'd go for the 8lb rated reel and spool it up full with 6lb and 8lb on the spare supplied spool, 6 for the big cast on still water for trout, 8 for the river/sea, sea trout and salmon.

Line, I like maxima mono, good reliable line.

A good portable and stowable set up for £60 (minus the line and hooks etc). You could do better on the cost with other brands;

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Multipiece_Travel_Rods.html?oo=312

I'd get out to one of your local tackle shops, there you can get a feel for them before you part with your readies. Also look at 2 and 3 piece rods, "travel" on the label comes with a premium, and if I'm honest most of my adventuring with a rod has been with a 2 or 3 piece and I never had any bother with the length carrying it around attached to my sack.

@ Ozzy1977

When I was 36 I have said the same thing, but my last finally failed a few yeas back, I reckon my pal stood on the tip though ;) Look after them and they should last well.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Something like this;

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/aca...pedition_XT_Spinning_Rod_PLUS_Reel_Offer.html

You can find similar for as low as £20 but I've one of these and it's good, the 8' 5g to 30g, and it'll handle all the likely trout fishing situation plus the occasional salmon and light sea fishing duty, plus it comes with a travel tube and the reel deal on that page looks good too. If so inclined; I'd go for the 8lb rated reel and spool it up full with 6lb and 8lb on the spare supplied spool, 6 for the big cast on still water for trout, 8 for the river/sea, sea trout and salmon.

Line, I like maxima mono, good reliable line.

A good portable and stowable set up for £60 (minus the line and hooks etc). You could do better on the cost with other brands;

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Multipiece_Travel_Rods.html?oo=312

I'd get out to one of your local tackle shops, there you can get a feel for them before you part with your readies. Also look at 2 and 3 piece rods, "travel" on the label comes with a premium, and if I'm honest most of my adventuring with a rod has been with a 2 or 3 piece and I never had any bother with the length carrying it around attached to my sack.

@ Ozzy1977

When I was 36 I have said the same thing, but my last finally failed a few yeas back, I reckon my pal stood on the tip though ;) Look after them and they should last well.

Nice one pal that's just what I had in mind

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE