Treemailing in Melbourne.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just found this on the BBC website, thought I'd share as it's quite touching.

Melbournes trees have been in decline due to drought for some years. So the council mapped every tree and gave it an ID number so people could report decline or branch drop. Instead, people have been emailing the trees themselves :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33560182

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is the term "absurd delusional freaks" allowed?

What kind of a nutjob emails a tree? How lonely must these people be??

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
"absurd delusional freaks"

In a nutshell, the reason I rarely log into this site anymore.

I thought it was a nice illustration of something I wasn't really aware of, city people genuinely caring about their environment. I suspect many on here have had more than a brief word with a tree. Are they delusional?

To me, the treemailing phenomenon is completely harmless and in a way, quite touching. I'm fairly sure the senders of these emails are aware that the tree isn't actually able to read them.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Thanks for posting this. What a great link. Melbourne has beautiful parks and trees, typical of the Aussie sense of humor that people would email the trees.
Living here I miss the gum trees, right, I am off to email one :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To me if these people actually care about the environment, they would be better off doing something positive for the environment. Once you start acting as though trees are human, then you get into that absolutely foolish behaviour like saying "its immoral to cut down a healthy tree".

If people spent a bit more time planting rare and beautiful trees and less time emailing them or hugging them, it would have a much larger impact.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
Since the image in the article has a link to 'Email this tree' it looks like people are having a bit of fun doing so with the positive effect of letting the relevant organisations know their efforts aren't going unnoticed. I doubt very many of these people regard trees as human.

Australia has come a long way with regards to its fauna and flora, when I was a kid the adage was 'If it moves, shoot it. If it stands still, chop it down.'

I miss gum trees too.

Nice find Nice65.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Thanks for posting this. What a great link. Melbourne has beautiful parks and trees, typical of the Aussie sense of humor that people would email the trees.
Living here I miss the gum trees, right, I am off to email one :)

I think there is one up at the farm..... I could introduce you if you want ;)

Rob

When something seems as silly as that, it's well worth examining the logic...

So the city of Melbourne had a big problem with its trees with 40% dying: they had a bigger problem in that if a tree or branch fell on someone, they would be liable due to the fact that they are supposed to monitor to prevent that. So putting ID tags on trees and asking the public to monitor the trees was brilliant. But then a person has to take the trouble to find where to email, and most people will put that off. So giving a tree an email address simplified that. They also recruited and trained volunteer "urban foresters", who in addition to checking trees would collect leaf samples for pollution analysis. In my mind an incredible solution to a problem which otherwise would have been incredibly expensive.

I was a bit boggled by the fact that 40% of the trees are at end of life, until I read about lots of short lived trees being planted at the same time and so now dying in mass. For sure I can see the advantage of fast growing trees in a city, though. While emailing a tree with anything but a status report seems silly, I'm figuring that the "ode to a tree" stuff was actively encouraged to get a sense of what trees people valued in order to plan future plantings - together with the incredible amounts of data sent in about tree health.

Back in the days before the Internet became widely available, I was part of a project to train teachers using a dedicated system with a line into town, which we could log into with the old modems. Every morning at 5AM I would log in, access a secure government site, check the Oracle database, and email myself the results. While the incredible amounts of volunteer work on top of a day job didn't bother me, for some reason the idea of emailing myself did, even though I was sending myself data and not poetry or trying to have a conversation. It was an idea of security back then. If I broke into other databases and emailed myself that stuff, then they'd have a direct link and could prosecute me.
I think that if I'd just have said that I used to get up early every day to email myself, that everyone would be recommending help...

On the surface, if you just took the statement that I think the trees should reply, then that seems crazy. Perhaps not.

One of the best projects to come up for the Raspberry Pi credit card sized computer board is the weather station. An initiative by Oracle is providing 1000 of these to schools around the world and if I was still working, I'd be trying to grab one. Cities have very complex micro climates and if they could get those for cheap, and get kids to run them for free, then some good planning could be done for the future.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/education/weather-station/

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/23/9016313/prune-iphone-ipad-game

More delusional freakage, or is it something else?

I've never put a plant or seed in the ground without wishing it all the best, if it hasn't prospered then I've felt a bit sad, if it has I've felt joy. If it's grown up to be a big and strong tree then I've felt proud, and I'm pleased to see it when I do.

Now someone is producing software that engages this emotion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE