Tick-borne Lyme Disease

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have had Lyme disease, it was identified and treated quickly so I have had none of the long term problems that Ray has had.

The same story appeared in todays Independent.

It is very common over here, you can even pick it up from ticks in the city parks. The best prevention is to check yourself and family for the ticks when you get back from a wander. :(

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I am curently writing some articles (in german) about tick-protection for my website, part 1 being already puplished
http://www.outdoor-professionell.de/zecken-schutz-risiko-prophylaxe-borreliose-fsme/
and my results so far are:
-you can find more on the web about how to protect your dog and horse than your children
-insect repellents dont work properly on ticks, never!
- you need lots of the stuff and more often than manufacturers claim
-DEET works better than Icaridin and this works better than stuff based on natural ingrediencies like citronella. Most of the time, but, ofcourse, this varies a lot.
-2 to 3h and you have to re-apply any stuff
-impregnating your trousers with Permethrin is a really good idea, as this stuff works properly and up to a month at least. the ticks cant stand the stuf and roll of the clothing in less than a minute:
http://zeckenschutz-bekleidung.de/h...oVerde.htm?ITServ=CY2fce5a39X12f4d376139X2cdd
This and an elasticated, adjustable drawcord in the hem of your trousers brevents the tick from reaching the skin too soon, since they usually crawl up to an hour on the clothing to find a suitable spot.
Permethrin-impregnated fabric like Nosilife, Insect Shield, Health Guard is also a way to go, because these treatments last up to 50 washings.
myself, i prefer Permethirn and add some natural spray to shoes and socks.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
My youngest step-daughter had lyme disease when she was a baby. As she hadn't been crawling around outside, mum decided the tick was probably brought in on a cat.

Very luckily mum had read about lyme disease in a walking mag a week previously, and recognised the rash. Made the doc prescribe high dose antibiotics, daughter is a healthy strapping 15yr-old now.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Why don't we have a vaccine over here now, there used to be one available but I think it got withdrawn.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Why don't we have a vaccine over here now, there used to be one available but I think it got withdrawn.

I took that vaccine series when it first came out (Lymerix) It was withdrawn (at least the human one was; your veterinarian may still have it). I believe due to lack of sales which I'm sure was due to the inconvenience of the series. It was a 3 shot series taken over a period of 1 year. Shot #1 followed by shot #2 a month later and shot #3 would be 11 months after the second shot. You and or you Dr needed a good memory to complete the series.

Also there were some possible side effects: False positive readings if you are later tested for the disease, the possibility of actually contracting the disease from the vaccine, or severe arthritis. There may be more. Do a web search for "lymerix side effects lawsuits" and you'll see what I mean. I'm keeping my shot record just in case.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE