Thunder and Lightning and Rain and Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I'm off to the local woods tonight to spend the night in my new hootchie and hammock (first time), and this morning, looking out of the window, there was lovely blue skies. Then as the morning moved on it started thundering and lightning...ing :eek:, and raining nice and hard.

EVEN BETTER I thought! I love being in a tent in weather like this, and I can imagine being under a tarp is far more exhilirating :D !

Got me wondering, what's everyone else's ideal weather for camping out??

Dan

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Cold is my fav I think......somewhere about minus 4 to minus 6c.....or maybe a little bit warmer so we have some snow....heavenly....

Although to be honest I'm happy in pretty much any enviroment from Desers of Arizona to Jungles of Berlize, coldest Canada or rainy England.....so long as i'm outside I'm happy....just takes me two or three days to acclimatise and I'm away :D

Have fun tonight and make sure the sides of your hoochi are pulled down low so the rain doesn't hit your hammock sideways! lol ;)

Cheers,

Bam.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I reckon cold too. Much more exhilarating! (sp?)

Crisp and blue skies....perfection :D

Cheers.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
My favourite is the good old warm + dry, boring I know - but it's like beer, it tastes a hundred times better after a day of exhausting slog. I love to spend all day climbing and walking, and then drop down into a warm valley for a boots-off relax and sleep.
If I'm camping just for the sake of it, I'd choose an igloo - they're fun to make, you can make it just the right size and shape, with shelves if you're clever. It becomes a little house. Or make your mate do it, and when you're back from foraging, the kettle is on and you sit on your reindeerskin floor and enjoy some cocoa :cool: Can't beat it.
I once slept in an open canoe, it was surprisingly comfortable, and waking up to your buddy paddling across a tree-encircled smooth lake, with mist rising on it, is magical.
I should stop rambling... the question was about weather. I like it to snow in the night but be clear by morning. Everyone loves a clear morning, and if it's a bit cold, even better.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I've never had the chance to camp in snow before... must be brilliant! Unfortunately it never snows where I live, and due to issues with cash (in that I have little) I've never been to a cold climate to waljk and camp etc. Would love to!!!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Where better than Scotland in the winter for a cheap snow destination. They even speak English up there (allegedly :D).
And on the subject of weather, anyone who had storms last night should pay a visit to the woods today. They've taken on that lovely post-rain smell, and are cool and refreshing. :)

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Scotland... hmmm! Didn't think of that, I'll have to plan a visit.

Even with the storms last night and all day today, it's still horrible and muggy outside, I'm hoping it's going to be nicer in the woods tonight!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the sound of heavy rain on a tarp whilst swinging gentley in a hammock beneath.... Bliss

I once spent a night in a hammock during a big tropical cyclone, it was wonderfull untill the land beneath me ended up being under 2-3 inches of water and the force of the rain hitting sent up spray which eventually soaked me.

Stuart said:
the sound of heavy rain on a tarp whilst winging gentley in a hammock beneath.... Bliss

I once spent a night in a hammock during a tropical cyclone, it was wonderfull untill the land beneath me ended up being under 2-3 inches of water and the force of the rain hitting sent up spray which eventually soaked me.

I would have to agree with Stuart, listening to the rain for me is hipnotic.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
cold. I love waking up in a tent in late autumn/ winter, you can be toastie in your sleeping bag just watching and listening to the world waking up. Unfortunatly there is this bugging thing called school that prevents me getting out much. :(

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I agree with you Stuart, last night out in the woods there was a constant light shower, which sounded beautiful on the tarp!

Being the first time spent out in a hammock. I can say I think was the most comfortable night I've ever had. Lovely

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Stuart said:
the sound of heavy rain on a tarp whilst swinging gentley in a hammock beneath.... Bliss

I have to say, that is on of the nicest experiences one can have. Makes me happy just thinking of it! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE