Test: German Army Pocket Knife - New Model

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 14, 2011
Germany
Hello Guys!
This is my first thread in this forum, and i want to introduce myself with the presentation of my faithful German army Pocket knife, wich accompanies me since my army times.

And here is it:

imag0192l.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

It has following features:

- undulated, very sharp one-handy opening, locked blade
- Stitching awl
- Can opener and small screwdriver
- Bottle opener and large screwdriver
- Cross screw driver
- Saw

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a very handy tool, much better than the old model of the german military tool.
Although it is from the German army, it is Swiss made, and very similar to the actual swiss army tool, so it seems that after the cold war somebody finally reasoned that an adopted foreign design is better than a crappy homemade solution. Well, enough chatter, let's turn to the Facts:

The Blade is outstanding. After 3 Years of (Ab-) Use like cutting, mine-sweeping exercises in dirt,using the Magnesium lighter, and opening boxes and cans, it never needed honing.
It's still so sharp, i can shave the hairs of my forearm with it (I did not have the guts for trying to shave my face with it ;)
Due to the locked Blade, piercing is also possible, e.g I pierced the 0,5mm-thick Aluminium sheet metal of my German Army mess Kit, in oder to get an improvised sieve and the tip did not break, unlikely my venerable old victorinox soldier from 1973.

There is little to say about the stitching awl, it is very acute, and making holes in my leather belt is no problem.

The can opener is IMHO better than any commercial crap wich flies around in german kitchens! when i have to open a can of beans(which for a student is quitely common :D ) i prefer this one to any other can opener, although it requires a little bit of practice. The Screwdriver drives screws as it should, nothing else.

The same about bottle opener, small screwdriver and cross screwdriver.

A very interesting part is the saw.

It is a very very handy and important tool, wich is quite useful for cutting wood for the camp fire, bones when cooking meat, and lot of other things.

my conclusion for this knife is: never without it! If you can geht your hands on this baby, grab it and tie it to your pocket!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hi German_wolf_87 & welcome, it looks like a beefier swiss army knife, I don't like the serrated edge on the main blade though, apart from that I can't see anything a S.A.K. doesn't have & you would have to be careful if you dropped it in vegetation, difficult to find..........you say the blade can be locked, so it would be illegal to carry in the U.K....if you're pleased with it, that's all that counts.........Your English is fantastic too.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is a plain blade version which I have (Wenger make them). Its not "illegal to carry" in the UK - any more than a fixed blade Bushcraft knife is. I often carry mine as an alternative to a fixed blade. They are a great knife - like a SAK on steroids.

The saw is indeed superb. My fondest wish is that they would do one with a small utility blade as well - but till then, you get a 4" bladed knife and decent saw in a small light package - its a great tool.

Welcome aboar GW!

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Of course you can - so long as you have a good reason to have it with you. Its legally no different than a fixed blade or most Leathermans. If you have a good reason to have it, no problem at all.

Yesterday I used mine to cut back lilac over the manure heap, to slice roots twined around cultivator blades and to cut pegs. All perfectly legal.

If I worked in an office or shuffled paper for a living - then it wouldn't be

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Red, I have the Wenger, my hand feels sore after prolonged use, not the most comfortable knife I own but I do like the blade.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I know what you mean. When I know I will be doing lots of knife work I carry the pukko that Shinken made - its stupid sharp and comfortable. But when I'm just "doing stuff" around the homestead, a biggish blade knife and saw in my pocket saves me trudging off to find a tool most of the time.

BB (Mrs Red) carries a Leatherman Vista (saw, knife and secateurs rather than pliers) for the same reason.

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
German Wolf. Good first post. Welcome to Bushcraft UK.
I have the Vic Trekker which is much the same as your knife but with the toothpick and tweezers. I think its a great knife and would be very happy to carry it
every day if I had a good reason to, which I do when I'm at work, but the problem for me is I work with textiles and I cut fine threads quite a lot during a day, the serrated blade is not ideal for this as it can snag and pull at fine threads :-( I can use the un-serrated portion of the blade but it's still not ideal.
For general use I think it's great, good kitchen knife if need be, and for it's intended use by the military I don't think you can beat it. I wonder how many otherwise
good military knives have been ruined by poor sharpening, I've seen a lot, the serrations generally mean it will cut for longer as you've discovered.

May 14, 2011
Germany
@ Black Timberwolf...sure its difficult to find when you drop it in vegetation,but:
1) Here in Germany you better don't get caught while camping in the woods, so every form of concealment is quite useful :D
2) It is hard to loose, when you connect the tool with a rope to your fatigues, isnt it? ;-)

And indeed, it is not much more than an ordinary SAK, but one of the best of them, IMHO^^

Thx, for the compliments btw!

@ jackknife: Yeah, the serrations are making a knife almost infinite durable, i do not understand, why some people dont like them

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Welcome on board GF87.
I have the same GAK and it's a great tool. I did'nt like so much the philips screwdriver as it tend to close sometimes when in use, otherwise a great knife for camping/outdoor.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...I have the same GAK and it's a great tool. I did'nt like so much the philips screwdriver as it tend to close sometimes when in use...

Alfredo, you can get the one with a corkscrew instead. :)

GF87, wlecome! Great first post! I'm a fan of serrated blades too (although it took a while:)) and I think the combination blade on your knife is made just right. If you have a part serrated blade the serrations need to be on the part of the blade which is distant from the handle, so the plain part of the blade is near to the handle where you get good control.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE