Tent canopy extension opinions please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
So, I have a Vango Orchy 500 on it's way to me to use with my family.

It looks like this:

Now, the size of it is fine however for longer camping trips (which is coming up soon!) I think getting an extension on it would be a great idea, especially with two yojung kids and potentially needing extra living space for rainy days, etc.

Unfortunately being a discontinued model, there is no extension available right now that is a guaranteed fit so it's relying on the second hand market to find something (cursing as I missed an absolute bargain earlier in the week!)

Doing copious amounts of research and searching I think I may have a plan that will work and wanted to run it by some other gear geeks ( :D ) to see if you spotted any glaring errors!

So, exhibit 1 is the Orchy 600.

Obviously a bit bigger than the 500 but the same shape.

Exhibit 2 is someone selling a Maritsa 600 Canopy Extension that they used with an Orchy 600.

I think that's a good fit and they were obviously happy with it.

this is the Maritsa 600 canopy stock picture:

That canopy would be too big for my 500 but I have seen a Marano 400 canopy extension

Looks pretty similar to that Marista, doesn't it. I think it would be easy to mistake the two in a picture, but presumably a difference in size as one's for a 600 the other a 400.

I hope you're keeping up. :)

Now, just to do some more checking I took the blueprint of the Orchy 600 and the blueprint of the Marista 600, scaled them correctly against each other then overlaid them so I could see how it worked for the person who did it.

I then did the same for my proposed Orchy 500 with Marano 400.

What do you think? Any glaring issues that you could see? I'm not expecting a 100% seal but in my mind it looks workable. :)

Thanks!

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
photo.jpg

An event shelter adds a huge living area and has the advantage that you can use it in the garden any time.

Each side can be a zip up door with windows, is UV and waterproof, marvellous bit of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE