Taking a sterile sharps pack on a plane?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Just a quick question as to whether anyone has done this? Obviously it would need to be in the main luggage, but I have heard that needles especially can draw attention as they crack down on drugs use etc? I'm going to Peru and was thinking of taking one of these kits but am unsure about their customs controls thinking they are for something sinister?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I know about sterile kits (needles etc, scalpel and stitching silk & needles) overhere in Holland having a certificate signed by a GP / health organisation stating it's for medical use. I think it's also about context: if you only take needles (& seringes) you're likely to get some attention. If it's all in a bigger FAK, it's more clear it's for medical applications.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Just a suggestion Troutman, but if you buy yourself something like this..http://www.spservices.co.uk/browse/FirstAidKits_25_0_36_na_12.html.. stow it in your hold baggage, even if searched by customs I think it unlikely that they would not understand that it is a bonafide medical kit.
I've carried this kit, the FA534 Overseas First Aid Kit in the Helsinki bag, on board my boat on many voyages, and customs from Greece to Antigua and Puerto Rico have seen it and it's never caused me any problems

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You specifically mentioned Peru. So my advice would be contact the Peruvian embassy and ask them directly. Some countries require a prescription to possess hypodermic syringes and other don't.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I flew to Cuba at xmas. I had scalpel blades, suture kits, paediatric sized venflons and hypodermics. Nobody batted an eylid! All in hold luggage

I thought health care in Cuba was pretty good, they are certainly low on the list of HIV infection so why take that lot with you? Just out of curiosity.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I thought health care in Cuba was pretty good, they are certainly low on the list of HIV infection so why take that lot with you? Just out of curiosity.

Healthcare is very good rik in terms of the staff ability and training but cleanliness of the hospitals and equipment levels leave a lot to be desired unless you are in Havana. They also tend to use adult equipment for children which is why we took some smaller stuff in case our daughter met with any problems.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks everyone- some really great advice. I have looked around on the Internet and have decided against taking one. I may end up regretting it, but I think there would be too much hassle from customs and if it was a major emergency it probably wouldn't get used/found in my pack anyway.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
One more note of caution, some medicines that are freely available in some parts of the world cannot legally be brought by individuals into some other parts. So depending where you're going you may need to be careful what medicines you take as well as what equipment you take.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
On personal trips I have occasionally travelled with a small meds and sterile kit and on group and work trips with a substantial medic kit. In the early days I was expecting to be stopped and loads of questions, that has never happened in what must be over a hundred times.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Took a full sharps kit in hand luggage (by accident) when flying home from China (had it in my rucksack day to day in case one of us got rushed to hospital and forgot to take it out when packing) and got stopped by airport security. They weren't happy with the tiny round nosed scissors in the kit but were quite happy with me taking all the rest on.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Lifesystems do a good basic kit like this. I've carried one everywhere I go on hol just in case. Never had a problem with it stored in hold luggage. Actually used it once on Arki where the clinic could't lay their hands on a suture needle - you never know.............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE