TAHR Jacket from Tamerack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Hi Guy's I wondered if any of you out there can help?
I was thinking about buying one of these TAHR Gortex jackets as my Berghus gortex has gone mouldy , however they arn't cheap at £230. :( :( .
So I was wondering if anyone out there knows where I could get one any cheaper and if anyone has one , what are they like???
For those of you that arn't sure what one of these jackets looks like they are the one that Ray uses in his Bushcraft series when he is skinning the deer in Scotland!!! :D
So if anybody can give some advise that would be brill :You_Rock_

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wash you Berghaus in biological washing liquid, rinse really well and air dry. Re-proof as advised. It's surprisingly effective.

On the other hand, it's a good excuse for a new jaikit! :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
If you use Bio washing powder on GTX it will never take a proof properly again.

I didn't want to spend too much on a waterproof - I looked at the Ray Mears one but couldn't find it reduced (£230 is a lot of money to get snagged on a branch). I also looked at an olive german surplus goretex for £40 (http://www.factsurplus.co.uk/10330.html)but plumped for a Keela Ottawa which is very warm and £85 (http://www.coolsunoutdoors.com/product_info.php?id=65).

I also have a new Montane eVent (http://store.securehosting.com/stores/sh207371/shophome.php?itemkeyw_%%=superfly) which is MUCH more breathable than Goretex XCR and comes in dark grey (listed but not shown on this site).

I use this when I need something light in the hills as light, the Keela ain't, I have spent years looking for the perfect jacket for this, in the end, I went for two different ones, one for Bushcraft, one for the hills. In the end I bought them both for the same price as the one from Ray Mears.

Alternatively, you could have your old one professionally re-proofed. You'll have to scout around for this though.

Oh the decisions....

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Thanks for the advise guy's, I did want to get a jacket which was gortex and olive,kaki,or dark green in colour so I blended into the landscape but without coming over as a action man if you know what i mean ;)
I guess i'll have to save my penny's as I really fancied on of the Tahr's
Either that or put my Evo 1 knife up for sale :(
Thanks once again :You_Rock_

jake trg

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2005
Lancashire
hi tarmarack are good to deal with when you have spent £500 with them you get a gold card which give you 10% discount, they are just down the road from me which is great, as for the tahr they are brilliant very quiet to wear. I have had no leaks the only moan is the cuffs . I am not big boned or built like a brick out house but i do find them quite tight. They also sell a darker green version than rays.Plus the bib and brace over trousers are bomb proof but not cheap.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
i found them to be one of few british suppliers of this. last year they were seeling them cheaper on the day of thr game shows that they went to, i thought i would leave it and buy one cheaper when i was in new zealand (i couldnt find one cheaper over there much to my dissapointment) and i looked on both the north and south island. great bit of kit... great for stalking and tracking as it doesnt rustle at all.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Ordinary olive green shows up against heather or autumn grass and the Tahr is a bit more yellowy olive and will blend in better, IMHO.
Bushwear do them for £230 too. However in the past they have done good deals for BCUK members - might be worth asking for a discount?
As mentioned before, the game fairs are a good bet.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Buying it direct from the Swazi website could save you about £30, as long as it doesn't get picked up by customs....

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Thanks for all the advise guy's I have ordered a tahr from Tamerack last night and I think I may try to salvage what I can of my old Berghus :lmao:
Will look forward to get out in the new jacket but at the mo a little hot down in the south :)
Anyway thanks again for the advise , its always a pleasure to ask on Bushcraft UK as you always receive excellent advise :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE