Sweet vernal grass....Anthoxanthum odoratum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Does anyone grow this ? and if so, what do you use it for ?

I had intended to grow it in a large pot, and to crop it for basketry and for plaited hearth herb type things.
However, after having bought seed, and just taken them out of the fridge, I've been reading up about it and the courmarin content appears to now be totally not considered a good thing :dunno:

Basically just asking if the collective has any opinions one way or t'other.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know of it as a hearth herb, like mugwort, burnt for it's perfumed and cleansing smoke. I know of it as among the strewing herbs, like bedstraw, with a much nicer background scent than any pot pourri of dodgy artificial brews. I know of it as a basketry material, being both long enough, flexible enough and scented, much the same way that seagrass has a scent.

I didn't know that it was supposed to kill cattle, that it stopped coagulation of the blood and that it was a major cause of hayfever :dunno:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, yes, I do have it listed as a 'room' scent; but where did you get all that other info from? - I am clearly missing some important references (I feel an excuse to buy more books coming on).

I have, for a while now, felt that I should make the database I am building available to other (trusted) individuals to enable review and faster build of the information :) - unfortunately, I don't think it's quite tidy enough yet.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Common use of a very common material :)

I worked from one end of the country to the other. People who make use of natural materials talk to each other about the plants they use, that they know of from long provenance, traditional skills, etc., From basketry to rope making, from stuffing paliasses to bents (reeds) for corsets :) 'grasses' get a lot of use.

Sweet vernal grass used to be considered a good thing, I didn't know that it was not now.

I have used it to make baskets, I have used it to make thick plaits that we burned to 'clean' the air, etc., We mixed it into the strewing rushes we used too. Mind I've worked in places like round houses, black houses, castles and the like, so sometimes it comes up among those kind of mixes. Rushes, meadowsweet, lemon balm, bedstraw, mugwort, etc.,

Your database sounds fascinating :) My own notebooks are a right mix of information, recipes, descriptions, sketches, and uses and do-s and don'ts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE