Swanndri help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...you'd never wear it 'down the town!..."

I wear mine about town, I get some funny looks, but those are funny looks coming from very cold looking people who are outside in a Budapest winter wearing trainers, jeans and a North Face puffer jacket. :)

tracking.JPG

Re the Bison collar, I prefer the granddad style collar when I'm wearing the Bushshirt over it, it feels more comfortable. The pocket might benefit from a flap but I usually only have a little notebook in there which is kept in place by the button.

Enjoy your Bushshirt JURA.

I find that wearing a belt over the shirt can make you feel a little less 'monk' like, give it a go. :)

swannie-001.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I wear mine about town, I get some funny looks, but those are funny looks coming from very cold looking people who are outside in a Budapest winter wearing trainers, jeans and a North Face puffer jacket. :)

tracking.JPG

I think it looks great mate. I'd be happier wearing one in Fort William, than Leeds city centre......I did once see an architect wearing one, on Canary Wharfe of all places! He looked out of place amongst all the suits on an island full of glass and chrome skyscrapers.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
So. Arrived today. Thanks bushwear. Great bunch.... Tried it on. As I'm about as tall as I'm wide the thing hung down past me knees. So...... Deep breath and cut 8 inches off the bottom...... Wife's sewing edge back as I type........

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
Done.......... Draw cord hem fitted.... Wife reckons I look less........well. You know what I mean... Noticed that the liner is wool polyester blend 50/50. Not merino wool.... Still..happy with it. Got a lovely indestructible feel to it. Poss a ranger next.. But not in green. Ha ha.

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
I got Fred Absell pullover with hood over Christmas, and have been very pleased with it's cut and performance.

I like the fact that I can use the hood separately, and that it's compactness and lightness can be used as part of a modular clothing system.

It was cut for athletic performance, and I use it for it's intended purpose, which was bow hunting and field archery.

Geo

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Bison has always worked for me

however i've been looking at asbell wool most recently

http://www.gfredasbell.com/gfa_wool_clothing.php

Those look really good, I especially like the poncho :)

Done.......... Draw cord hem fitted.... Wife reckons I look less........well. You know what I mean... Noticed that the liner is wool polyester blend 50/50. Not merino wool.... Still..happy with it. Got a lovely indestructible feel to it. Poss a ranger next.. But not in green. Ha ha.

Pictures man! Pictures! :)

Do you have any ideas about what you will do with the spare material? A handwarmer pocket perhaps? Something along the lines of the Swedteam Anorak?

Last edited:

Jackdaw

I've been after one of those G. Fred Absell smocks. Unfortunately, they never reply to my emails regarding postage. There is an option at check out to adjust the destination to the UK but then the postage is listed at $0.00.

I might just order one and see what their response is.

Jack

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've been after one of those G. Fred Absell smocks. Unfortunately, they never reply to my emails regarding postage. There is an option at check out to adjust the destination to the UK but then the postage is listed at $0.00.

I might just order one and see what their response is.

Jack

I've had the same issue

let me know how you get on but when this has happened with other US conpanies they've send a postage invoice once the package is made up and charged the exact cost - rather than just pull a figure out the air. I have a feeling Asbell do the same

they do alot of shows so arn't always around

please let us know how you get on...

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My Bushshirt just arrived, tried it on over a 200 & 400g Woolpower and it's perfect

Glad I took a punt on the medium now

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I had a bison, & also have a swannie ranger. I like to wear them as a shirt, & found that the bison that fit me, was to small in the neck & cuffs, so i moved it on. My good wife then alterd the collar on the swannie to match that of the bison as i preferd that "grandad style".
The quality of the bison was better than that of swannie. I prefer the neck zip, & pockets of the swannie, but as i have already said, the collar & quality of the bison.

Rob

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
tried to upload photos even with the help of my wife who is it savvy and my daughter who is a graphic designer and its got us all stumped so you will all have to imagine what my modded bushshirt looks like.

so ive been wearing it now for a few weeks and the overiding impression is favourable.
i work outdoors and have done so for the past 30 odd years, the vast majority as an outdoor instructor so have a reasonable depth of experience of outdoor kit. my early days were spent in helly hansen pile gear which i find soft durable and comfortable but needs windproof cover. i then spent many years in various fleece gear. no real experience of wool until recently.

the bushshirt....... i find it reasonably easy to put on and off. i like the style now its modded. im a genuine 48 chest but only 5,8 tall so i generally need kit wide and short. the xl bushshirt fits well now shortened. i can layer underneath but the few times i have done this i find im too hot. ive been out in some very cold weather recently and find it warm and windproof enough on its own. the warmth it provides seems different, i find it difficult to describe this and essentially the breathability of the garment seems to be the nub of this. the fact that it is not completely windproof seems to ad to its general comfort. i love the fact that i wear this alone on top of a t shirt and nothing else, note however that i have become fed up with the layering principle....
the reason for this is that i find wearing several layers quite restrictive and love the simplicity of wearing just this shirt. windproof enogh, waterproof enough,warm enough for most winter occasions over the past few weeks and bear in mind i have worn this every day.

i spend alot of my working life now wearing farmers padded shirts , the checky ones, and find their blend of warth and windproofyness an ideal combo and if necessary waterproof layer on top. however most of my collegues have become , like i, dissilussioned with waterproofs and tend to carry spare dry kit in the van rather than sweat it out in breathables. note though that i do not work outside and the camp. i have the luxury of drying my kit out overnight at home.

there are a few bits of kit over the years that i resisted buying because i saw them as overpriced and a bit of a fad. the first was the buffalo dp shirts. the second muck boot wellies and now the swannie. with all three soon after purchsae i kicked myself for not having bought earlier.... bear in mind though that i have amassed ALOT of kit over the years so ive also made alot of mistakes............

Jackdaw

Being of a similar sizing to yourself the main problem I have with usual outdoor pursuits kit is that the sizing is usually all wrong for me and the pricing cannot be justified when they rip at the first tug of bramble or melt at the first glimpse of a spark from a fire.

I have bought and ruined many an item of equipment from Buffalo jackets to Rab down smocks by simply using for its intended purpose. I now wear wool as much as possible and spend most of the year in a Swannie Ranger shirt with a Paramo Fuera windproof smock in olive drab. It is the only outdoorsy kit I wear now having been disappointed so much in the past. For the worst of the weather I wear my Bushshirt (unmodded) which is a fantastic item.

Nov 7, 2012
UK
I have been going down the " Which Bushshirt " thought process for a while & finally opted for the Swanndri Range as I just facied one ! I ended up getting it from " The survival School" as they were cheapest by far at £70 delivered plus their service was super quick, ordered Sunday arrived Tuesday & they were very helpful. Never dealt with them before but always happy to pass the word around for such a good company.

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
On this thread of enquiry can anyone recommend a retailer of a ranger shirt in any of the other colours (I own an awful lot of green)?!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE