storing wood to be used for carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Will be interested to see replies for this, I have spotted some oak burr I want to get but not sure about seasoning. Wood in my normal wood store (firewood) cracks as it does get the sun for part of the day. So I am guessing a slow season with plenty of air but no direct heat ?

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Hi Mark,

Main problem is that it will split at the ends as they will dry out most here, and you have lots of ends and not much middle! If you paint the ends it will seal them and reduce this. gloss paint will do; doesn't look pretty but it works. Probably better to split them first at least you can decide where the split will go. They should be OK outside but I would keep them off the ground ( too wet) and out of the sun (too dry). My Dad has tonnes of wood that he processes like this; normally though it is longer and bigger so he splits it and doesn't paint the ends. He stores his wood under conifers. Dryish and out of the sun. All the dens I played in as a Kid are jammed with slowly drying wood.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Save some of the choice bit of wood that you want to carve in your freezer.

How you explain what you're doing with the wood to your wife/partner is an entirely different matter and let us know if you succeed :rolleyes::rofl:

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
you have a huge stockpile re your previous post, realistically you probably wont get to use a lot of it before it splits and warps. :)

you dont say what you intend to carve, that will have a bearing on what becomes useable or not over time. so with your projects in mind, i would pick out the choice pieces and if you have a shed or something that with keep it dry but aired, use it. better crack on Mark! :D

steve

Last edited:

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi fella

Fathers day tomorrow :bigok:

Main problem is that it will split at the ends as they will dry out most here, and you have lots of ends and not much middle! If you paint the ends it will seal them and reduce this. gloss paint will do; doesn't look pretty but it works. Probably better to split them first at least you can decide where the split will go. They should be OK outside but I would keep them off the ground ( too wet) and out of the sun (too dry). My Dad has tonnes of wood that he processes like this; normally though it is longer and bigger so he splits it and doesn't paint the ends. He stores his wood under conifers. Dryish and out of the sun. All the dens I played in as a Kid are jammed with slowly drying wood.
All good stuff TVM, I should have thought of paint.............. I have no paint but I do have some brown stuff that I used on a fence. Split it... I must get some wedges.

I have cleared a space at the end of the garden under an oak tree, I will put pallets down and stack the cherry under a frame there then put a light tarp over the lot.

ATB
Mark

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Wouldn't it make sense to store it in, or rather, under water? It won't rot quickly under water because of lack of oxygen and the wood will be more easy to carve as opposed to dry wood.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I believe Robin has said hat removing the very centre will reduce splitting. If you have to split them down anyway, might be worth knocking the corner off. I've done it a couple of times and it worked.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE