Stickpic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Just done a quick search and no-one seems to have mentioned it, so, I will!

Stickpic screws into your camera tripod screw mount and then slots on the end of your walking pole.

"Why would I want to do that?", I hear you ask. Well, they allow you to do excellent shots of yourself or your group when there's no-one out there to take one for you. If you have a Flip Video unit or your camera has a video setting, you can also do some really effective video shots - kind of like a 'handicam'.

My only gripes: they're not cheap for what they are, and you'd struggle to hold a DSLR or bigger camera steady on it.

See Podcast Bob's backpackinglight site at: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product445.asp?PageID=1

What I will say is that you get a quick and effective service, they'll send you a bag of sweets and a CD-ROM full of Outdoors Station podcasts, and they phone you up to make sure you're happy with everything. I've never had such consistently good customer service!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Mikey,

Tinny from MiniBullDesign.com has been using them for quite a while to shoot videos as he walks. I've been amazed by the results but he does often say that the weight of a camera multiplied by the length of the pole can wear your arm out pretty quick!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Yep I'd agree with the comment that it is small and easily 'losable'. I actually lost the little black screw thing off my first one. I know have the second one tightly attached to the camera at all times!

A lot of the arm-fatigue issue depends on camera weight and pole weight. Clearly, as a lever, it will exert more force on your arm. With a Flip Video and Alpkit carbon poles, it's OK. With my heavier Sony digital camera, you can't keep it still for as long. However, assuming you're only going to take a quick photo, it's not normally an issue.

Of those (very good) reviews, the boy Hollis may have something set up incorrectly as you can always see his arm holding the pole! Doesn't happen with mine.

Finally, yeah - why didn't I think of it first?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE