Squirrel question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Oh and on the subject of the RSPCA, they are well known to use captive bolts to kill dogs, so they obviously think there are at least some methods other than lethal injection which are acceptable.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not to mention B&Q for selling mouse traps.

I take your point rommy, but Red is absolutely right. What the RSPCA consider to be humane is irrelevant. The court did not make any ruling on their opinion of humane dispatch, they only found Raymond Elliott to be guilty of causing unnecessary suffering. What that means is that you could be in trouble if you drown squirrels, it does NOT mean using anything other than lethal injection is now illegal. That's reactionary nonsense.

Not only that, but it was the method in which he drowned it, which caused his neighbours to complain because of the noise the squirrel made. He also pleaded guilty.

I had to dispatch a grey squirrel once that had it's leg trapped in a bird feeder for what looked like a day at least, it was a mess and the squirrel had attempted to bite it's own leg off. The pistol did the job swiftly and cleanly.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Oh and on the subject of the RSPCA, they are well known to use captive bolts to kill dogs, so they obviously think there are at least some methods other than lethal injection which are acceptable.

Especially considering that captive bolt guns are stunners, not killers. After successful application of the bolt-gun the animal must be killed, usually by pithing or bleeding.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi

Red Is absolutely right, I Pest control agricultural areas for years and my preferred method of dispatch is an air weapon be it a rat or squirrel in a cage. Ever tried to deal with a caged mink, a scary little bugg8rs either air weapon or Shot gun long range.

In regards of the RSPCA and the case of the squirrel, the guy in question pleaded guilty, many of the shooting groups felt he had a case to defend and the RSPCA as RED stated its their recommended means, lethal injection, a pity they don't live by that as they too use other methods to dispatch.

Shooting the squirrel with an air pistol point blank in a cage is a recognised method of pest disposal.

D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE