Sloes? ID and harvest questions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Thorns or no thorns on Damson/Bullace - its all a bit of a sliding scale on how naturalised they have become I think. Some damsons are bigger, sweeter and some or smaller and more bitter..and the line between them and Sloes becomes a bit hazy.....some of the bigger ones I have been picking 2-2.5cm diameter have been from bushes with some bL88dy painful thorns on!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
me and the lads will be heading back on this coming wednesday with luck there'll be some left. saw an aweful lot of shrivelled ones.
did find some odd plum like berries too, they were elongated and purple with reddish flesh and the same stones as the sloes, damsons perhaps?
unfortunatly i didn't get a picture, did see something with really really bright red berries! like luminous red, in big clumps they grew, i'll dig a pic out for tomorrow got em on my camera phone.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
*** Sloe warning! ***

I didn't get around to making my sloe gin until early November. When I did, I tried a couple of sloes and they were almost edible, bordering on sweet!!! Also, after about ten days, my gin looks almost ready! There must have been something special about this year's crop - a bumper harvest indeed.

Anyway, be careful in adding sugar to your gin, particularly if you have a standard recipe!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE