Sharpening stone recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

purpleshark

Jul 30, 2017
Oxfordshire, UK
I am currently looking at the different things I need to start whittling. To start with I think I'm going to get Mora 106 and 120, what sort of sharpening stone would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Any of the Naniwa pro (used to be called Chosera) stones will serve you well if you're thinking of freehand sharpening. They're not cheap, but wear very slowly, especially the green 400 grit one, and will last for ages. Classic case of you get what you pay for!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"Carving sharp" edges usually need something better than the so-called 'fine' stones.
I used a whole series of fine automotive fine finishing sandpapers. Torn into strips,
I use 800 (600 if there's damage) then 1,000 then 1,200 then 1,500 grit.

My strop is no more than box card, charged with CrOx/AlOx honing compound.
Probably the final honing of the edges is what makes the tools such a pleasure to use.

I have diamond plates. I have waterstones. The sandpapers are the best starting system for exploration.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
This stuff, mounted to glass, or a piece of Corian (flat, waterproof) is excellent, and much easier to use than just wet and dry paper.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/hermes-self-adhesive-abrasive-film-ax834464

I also use premium sandpaper, dry, by 3M or Norton, to remove big chips or dinks from edges. I think that after a period of carrying rubbish paper, Halfords is back to carrying some OK wet and dry, but I haven't tried it. A strop loaded with Autosol works well for final polish.

I have a selection of water stones, up to 6000 grit, no particular favoured brand, the first was a 1000 grit King, bought 16 years ago, and still in use. You need to sharpen a lot to wear these things down. The only annoyance is that as a by product of their fast cutting action, they wear/dish and cease to be flat, and so require dressing flat with some coarser flat stone/diamond plate/sandpaper on glass. They are also messy, producing "mud" as they wear. If you are just starting and don't have much to sharpen, that sticky film and a strop will get you going for minimal outlay and be easier to clean up after and require no dressing flat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE