Saw TLC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I was given a pair of bow saws by someone who was moving to the City and had no further use for them.

They have not been looked after all to well, yesterday I took them to a local permission where I am allowed to cut green wood, and tried them out yesterday.

The small saw is ok on wood 2-3 inches in diameter, but the lack of length meant that it was a lot of effort.

freesaws01_sm.jpg

When I tried using it to clear some of the twiggy bits off the side of the piece I had felled, they just fell between the teeth and the saw was next to useless.

freesaws04_sm.jpg

The bigger saw I had a bit more hope for, with it's longer draw length, I thought it would be less wearing than the smaller saw. But the teeth seemed only sharp enough to stab you in the finger when you weren't paying attention, but not actually sharp enough to do anything useful to wood.

freesaws02_sm.jpg

freesaws03_sm.jpg

So the question is two fold

a) Is it worth trying to rescue these saws and make them useful?

b) if yes, any recommendations on how best to do so?

Cheers

Julia

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Chuck the blade on the second and buy a decent brand such as S&J or Bahco replacement blade

Also never leave the blade tensioned when not in use.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Have both been left stored with the tension on? That might have pulled the set out of the teeth. The small saw has a green/wet/raker tooth blade with Hardened Point teeth which can't really be re set. The larger has a seasoned/peg tooth blade - too rusted to see whether it has HP teeth. The rusting will cause extra friction - I've used vinegar and wire wool to shift rust with great effect.

Both saws will work well if looked after and maintained. The length on the small can be _irksome_ but they can still be useful :)

And as you already realise, small stuff can get lost in the teeth ;)

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"Is it worth trying to rescue these saws and make them useful? "
Of course! New blades keepingtension off when not in use, or learn to DIY set & sharpen - fun, and much easier with these widely-spaced teeth c/f woodworking saws. A wound cord handle makes them more comfortable to use.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Yes, we have tracks to clear. :)
KWG have blades if you can not resurrect the red one.

We are moving this week and will be out of internet/landline for about a week as BT can't figure out the new address! But let me know when you are doing this and the next meet details and I will do my best to be there, almost made the last one but for work and horrid lurgy infestation.(pretty sure I was working within 1500mtrs of your campsite ;)) I could offer some sawing/tool advice too, like you will have a very hard time trying to sharpen the hardpoint blade in the little Stanley, the bigger blade is possibly another hardpoint but you will know when the file skates off with nary a cut.
Still got an oilstone with your name on if you still want one.

Rob.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
As everyone else has said, new blade and dont leave tension on them

Also when you get a new blade compare new and old looking from the top down. You'll see whats meant by "pulled the set out of it"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE