Repair not replace

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
. However, the apple bins on the farm here are a source of reasonable plywood which I've used for nesting boxes and so on. I usually just cut it out with a chainsaw to avoid doing battle with nails.
I've become increasingly find of a DeWalt 18v XR reciprocating saw for those mucky jobs. Rips through veg crates and with the right blade, goes straight through the nails too!

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I've been recommended a hand held metal detector more than once for finding nails in wood, as well as using it in the ground for treasure or pipes in walls. £125 ish though for the proper job Garrett Pro Pointer aka the carrot.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well , time for some "before and after" shots

This was the inside of a roof panel - thin ,( maybe 3mm) ply - not exterior grade so delaminated. Basic steel screws rusted to ****.

Delaminated ply by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Now with 9mm exterior grade lining, 2 coats of 5 year Cuprinol, new rebated struts and all stainless fastenings

Relined roof by English Countrylife, on Flickr

We removed the nest box ( they are useless for broody coops because chicks can't get up into them and usually leak) and replaced with a large removable panel for easy cleanout

Removed nest box by English Countrylife, on Flickr

And back in place. Hoping that Avian influenza "flockdown" ends before they start going broody!

Repaired coop by English Countrylife, on Flickr

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why thank you. We try to look after a livestock - warm, dry, well bedded accommodation seems little enough to provide. It does surprise me how poorly some poultry are kept :(

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, the local farm when I was a child, kept the chooks in a rather leaky shed in a very scratched up yard. In the wet it was more mud than chicken.

This counted as free range in those days. it was certainly free range...to be uncomfortable.

Reactions: British Red

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Repair skills are great to have, from woodwork to patching and darning. Recently my rake handle snapped , and I simply replaced it with a spare broom handle. It took less time than driving to the store and cost much less than a new one.
All my tools are old and second hand, so handle breakages are happening quite often of late. So I purchased a few spare handles and just replace them.
Making my own handles would be a good skill to have.
I do have a broom that has had two new handles and three new heads. It's over 30 yrs old. :) :)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I was out fishing on the river last week, and I struggled to get out of a silty spot and ended up tripping and overloading the webbing straps on my chest waders and they completely broke free on the left side front and back. I was pretty miffed about it and was thinking of getting a new set of waders and funds were a little tight anyway, and waders are essentially a big hunk of plastic and rubber so I'd rather not buy or waste if I can help it.

So I pulled out the leather kit and stitched it up front and back, it was a surprisingly simple and quick job, and I dare say a lot stronger than the original as the thread was very thin previously. Mega chuffed!

I managed to get a hole in the knee too but I used a standard bike puncture repair kit to patch it up and it works a treat. Happy days.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I think that most of us on this forum are waaaay ahead of the average person in the street when it comes to ‘mend and make do’. It has always been part of my life.

My downfall is electrical repairs. I've managed to get a lot of all the "normal" electrical gadgets out of my life, and am presently refurbing an old hand butter churn. It's much quicker making butter with an electric whisk, but its nice to have an easily repairable alternative.
I've been trying to get people interested in a repair cafe in our town, but though the response is, " it's a good idea" nobody seems interested in actualy setting one up.
There is one a 3/4 hour bus ride away. But by the time you've paid bus fare and spent hours travelling and waiting for buses, it's not worth it for a small repair. Our electrical shop has just shut down this week, as they didn't get enough business, so small electrical repairs are no longer possible. Seems everyone now buys new online. Shame realy. Small business like that used to be the life blood of a community. Another empty shop. That's the 5th this year in our town. No haberdashers, no pet shop, no flower shop, the shop selling local crafts is going, and now the electricians. We lost the other electrical shop last year.
Plus side, I've stocked up on cut price batteries in the sale!

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Our nearest Repair Cafe is in Wivey, and they seem fairly well occupied. Somerset also has the Fixy Van, see:

Is there anything similar in Devon? Having worked for most of my life in telecoms, I’m happy to have a go at fixing digital / some electrical or mechanical stuff for friends and neighbours, but only for fun rather than reward. It seems to me that since we live in a very litigious society these days, there are few if any people willing to take on fixing electrical stuff because of liabilities and onerous legal requirements. That might have some bearing on why it’s so hard to start up a Repair Cafe.

Fixing and/or adapting stuff has saved me and my family a fortune over the years. It has also led me onto making stuff for myself in many areas of life. It is very rewarding and satisfying to use something you have repaired, modified, or made yourself. I can’t believe that other people (i.e not on here) haven’t picked up on this, as we might all benefit with the way things are going in the world. I did see reference somewhere (on here?) to a book published in Cuba, regarding the fixing and adaptation of everyday stuff for day-to-day use. I wish I could find it now, as it was very interesting and demonstrated a mindset that I think we all need to get back to.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
But a repair cafe can be for anything, not just electrical items.
Many years ago at the glasters Festival, there was a young lady with a hand operated singer sewing machine , and she offered clothing repairs, zips, patching, torn clothing repair, tent repairs, ,just about anything.
She was always busy.!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
At work they've got big bandsaw. Great for rough cuts And there's a small one for fine cuts. Previous company had one that allowed angled cuts and another one where the cutting line can be moved horizontally to cut lines in the material in different places.

Having the right tools for the job saves a lot of time with jobs. If you do a lot of those jobs they pay for themselves easily.

Reactions: ESpy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE