Re-covering a wood & canvas canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
A very lucky friend of mine has just been given two wood and canvas open canoes. The downside however is that both need re-covering with new canvas!

So - as I've been volunteered to help him I've a few questions which I'm hoping someone here knows the answers too!!

1. What weight / type of canvas is normally used for canoes? Where can we get some from?

2. Is the canvas treated with anything before / after it's put on? If so - what, and again where can it be obtained?

3. Is there a particular 'pattern' the canvas is cut to? If so is there a copy on the web / in a book we can obtain?

4. Does the canvas have to be in one piece or can you sew strips together? I assume only one layer of canvas is used - is this a correct assumption?

Any info would be greatly appreciated - particularly if someone has already done this before and doesn't mind me picking their brain!!

Many thanks in advance.

Bob :)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Bob said:
A very lucky friend of mine has just been given two wood and canvas open canoes. The downside however is that both need re-covering with new canvas!

So - as I've been volunteered to help him I've a few questions which I'm hoping someone here knows the answers too!!

1. What weight / type of canvas is normally used for canoes? Where can we get some from?

2. Is the canvas treated with anything before / after it's put on? If so - what, and again where can it be obtained?

3. Is there a particular 'pattern' the canvas is cut to? If so is there a copy on the web / in a book we can obtain?

4. Does the canvas have to be in one piece or can you sew strips together? I assume only one layer of canvas is used - is this a correct assumption?

Any info would be greatly appreciated - particularly if someone has already done this before and doesn't mind me picking their brain!!

Many thanks in advance.

Bob :)

Lets see if I can help you a little:
Here is a swedish link to a guy building canvas canoes and selling canvas duck too. It was very hard to find a supplier and I was happy when I found them.

Kanotmakarn link

canvas for a canoe 165cm bredd 300g/m2 = 100 kr/m
canvas for a canoe 145cm broad 440g/m2 = 200 kr/m

you apply the canvas and sew them together after that you are painting the boat with an oil colour. Call the guy he is very friendly or write him an e-mail, he can help you.

cheers
Abbe

lord lurcher

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
norwich, norfolk
wood canvas canoes never die they just accumulate new parts! the american red cross canoeing manual has a wealth of information concerning recovering and repairs. if you type name into google it will come up with info. good luck with your project

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE