Ray Mears Swazi Tahr or Norrona Recon Gore-Tex Pro Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
Hi Folks,

After a really top quality waterproof jacket, heard these are good picks but enlighten me if you know better & willing to part with it for a fair price.

Large Size needed

Thanks

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
Still after a decent waterproof folks if you want some extra cash this xmas.

Ill be interested in buying any of the following in Medium / Large Size:

- RM Swazi Tahr
- Norrona Recon Gore-Tex Pro Jacket
- Snowsled Jacket
- sass Ventile smock
- BCUK Ventile Jacket

Cheers

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
You are more likely to pick up a Recon, as people always seem to be off-loading them. The coyote fur hood trim is a great extra if you can get one.

The Tahr has a huge rep but only if you don't want pockets. For my money the Wapiti is a much better bet. I am sure you are aware that Woodlore has the Tahr new, and that importing a Tahr or Wapiti from NZ is trouble-free and works out about the same cost (I am told).

Beware second hand Ventile smocks as they can get very tatty.

How about a Harkila Pro Hunter jacket to add to your list? A truly superb bomb-proof jacket although not for the summer.

Sorry I can't help with something to offer you as all my jackets are XL/XXL

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
Cheer for the info guys, i'll check it out.

I'd heard about people offloading the Recons for mainly the pocket issue, which i'm fine with, didn't know there was a fur hood version :)

I'd not heard of the Harkila range - looks good though, sigh......more possibilities. Between the lot of them this is gonna be a hard choice, new or second-hand.

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
I'd heard about people offloading the Recons for mainly the pocket issue, which i'm fine with, didn't know there was a fur hood version :)

The Fur ruff for the Norrona jackste comes as an extra and can be bought from Tamarack Outdoor in this country, however they aint cheap, around the £50 mark.

As for coats can thoughrly recommend the Swazi Tahr, this is the Goretex one though not the new Swazi Aegis Tahr, as said above there are three i think on flea-bay at the mo. If you want something thourghly waterproof though don't go for Ventile as it's not waterproof per sa, it relies on water to swell the fibres to seal them so in prolonged wet conditions you will get damp even with a double skinner. Good luck on your hunt

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
Unfortunately the Tahr on ebay have gone other than 1 which is too big.

Has anyone had any experience with Bergans Pasvik Silent Jacket?
http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp

Also any feedback on the Swazi/Ray Mears AEGIS Tahr in comparison to the Gore-Tex version?

The Swazi AEGIS Wapiti is not on sale yet but being the zip version of the Tahr does looks more versatile.

I think a perfect outcome would be:

- Norrona Reckon Jacket for all round waterproof / Arctic / Hill / Mountain Trekking / city.

- Swazi Tahr / Harkila Jackets / Swazi Wapiti for Hunting / Stalking, bushcraft / camp fire activities

So if i have to buy new, guess just have to be patient & save ££££ or wait for a good secondhand deal.

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
You just had to make the list longer didn't you :)

I love it, could be a winner, i would still need an all year light shell like the Recon as this looks very warm.

But this should keep me for winter / early spring for most activities, sure be suited for the Arctic expedition in February.

Thanks, me'thinks were getting close.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
For a light shell, the Swazi Narwhal is very very nice and Woodlore have them on offer at the moment (Goretex version). It is a superb garment, very light, but much tougher than most paclite. It is a light version of the Tahr but with pockets! This is my preferred bushcraft summer shell. Oops I added another!

The Recon is too heavy and bulky for a mountain / year-round shell. It takes up half my rucksack!

Last edited:

GT73

Feb 28, 2011
London
Hi folks,

I got a goretex Swazi Tahr - green (not the RM version - single pocket) size Small. (Clearly too small for Green Knight)
I used it may be five times, It is in great condition - I think I must still have the tags somewhere.
It doesn't get much use so I would like to find a new home for it... if anyone is interested do let me know.

Not sure how much is worth, say £225.00 ono.

gt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE