Puffballs to you too

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Hi all,

I have a large round white thing growing on my compost heap (no - its not a football) and am assuming that its an edible puffball.

As my only experience of mushrooms are the variety prefered by students :eek: or the ones that grow in plastic tubs at Tesco :confused: , I just wanted to make sure that it doesn't have a deadly identical twin that will stop my foraging forever...

If its safe to eat - any gastronomic ideas?

Many thanks in advance

j

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Please do identify it properly before you eat it. It's always possible to mistake and earthball for a puffball by look alone. Only difference being earthballs are poisonous.

Break it open. If its all white flesh inside it should be ok. If there is any dark material inside it is more than likely an earthball instead.

There are a number of varieties of each in Europe but the two common ones are:

Common puffball

Common Earthball

Happy foraging :)

Edited...Thankyou John you pedant ;)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Marts said:
Please do identify it properly before you eat it. It's always possible to mistake and earthball for a puffball by look alone. Only difference being puffballs are poisonous.

Break it open. If its all white flesh inside it should be ok. If there is any dark material inside it is more than likely an earthball instead.

There are a number of varieties of each in Europe but the two common ones are:

Common puffball

Common Earthball

Happy foraging :)

Marts.........You mean earthballs are poisonous, not puffballs. Puffballs are edible, but need to be eaten while still white inside.
It could also be a giant puffball http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~6239.asp These are supposed to be nice sliced into steaks and fried..................Jon
bushcraftersfire9cc.gif

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
janiepopps said:
If its safe to eat - any gastronomic ideas?

without supplying a photograph no one can give you any assurances, even with a good photograph of some mushrooms, its sometimes not possible to tell exactly which species they are.

Take a photograph of your mushroom, then cut it in half and take another. Post both on the forums and then we may be able to tell you whether in our opinion it would be safe to eat

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Nemisis - you cheeky s*d! Wayland - please make sure he's not invited :lmao:

Anyway, it appears I'm a little late (or early?) I've just been up to photograph it, pressed it with my finger and the skin came apart in a puff of fungal dust revealing a khaki green dusty centre. :yuck:

Now, I know I'm new to this game but I'm sure it ain't meant to look like that.

My thoughts are now that its a leftover from the autumn?? Other 'shrooms dont usually appear at this time of year me thinks...

j

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
janiepopps said:
Nemisis - you cheeky s*d! Wayland - please make sure he's not invited :lmao:

Anyway, it appears I'm a little late (or early?) I've just been up to photograph it, pressed it with my finger and the skin came apart in a puff of fungal dust revealing a khaki green dusty centre. :yuck:

Now, I know I'm new to this game but I'm sure it ain't meant to look like that.

My thoughts are now that its a leftover from the autumn?? Other 'shrooms dont usually appear at this time of year me thinks...

j

your correct, its been left too late.

when in its edible state it will have solid white flesh all the way though, although it doesnt have much flavour of its own his white flesh absorbs the flavours of the things it is cooked with and is very filling.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Just a thought Stuart but can it still be identified in the state its in now so Janie doesn't miss out next time? I presume it will regrow within the same area?
Dave.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Yes, ahem, mine didnt really look like that :eek:

I'll kick it round the compost heap a bit so theres a good crop come autumn.

Stu, did you just fry it? Any other ideas on how to use them?

j

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
janiepopps said:

you can fry them up with what ever else you having (it doesnt realy have a taste of its own)

but better is to hollow out the small ones and stuff them.... then grill yummmm

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
janiepopps said:

you can fry them up with what ever else you having (it doesnt realy have a taste of its own)

but better is to hollow out the small ones and stuff them.... then grill or bake yummmm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE