Problem with re-proofing my jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
my lovely wife bought me a Berghaus 4 in 1 jacket for christmas :) , great all rounder, however when I came to reproof the outer jacket I came across a problem :( .
I used the Nikwax TX direct spray on, unfortunetly though missed a few "puddles" that I was supposed to dab with a damp cloth :eek: . Once the jacket had dried I was left with white-ish stains on the material (I think that the jacket is PU coated by the way). :confused:
I have washed the coat a few times with Nikwash and also with regular washing powder but nothing seems to shift the stains. Any-one had this problem before and know how to deal with it? All suggestions appreciated greatly.
:thanks: Stu :confused:

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I've never had any problem like this with TX direct spray on, even if some bits havent been wiped off properly, once dried the white marks were easily removed with a damp cloth. I would possibly think about contacting Nikwax directly and see if they have any suggestions.

I've stopped using the spray on now and use the washin one as it means it gets a full wash and no missed patches, but not sure if you can use that on a PU jacket?.

Good luck.:)

Rod

On a new journey
Hi,

depending on what part of the country you live in Nikwax can leave a white residue on GTX. Its to do with water quality.

You could wash it with a pure soap, or non bio to re-clean the surface and then use a wash-in treatment. I would suggest on by Grangers as that doesn't seem to react with soft water (probably what comes out of your taps.) Then, and here's the cunning bit. Tumble dry your jacket - you may need a trip to the laundrette - on a low heat for 40mins or so (till the button are hot to the touch) not till the fabric goes cripsy!

This will restore the DWR - water repellant treatment on the face of the fabric.

Any probs, or if you need any more advice please feel free to pm me

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
thanks all :You_Rock_ . i have tried to wash the jacket in normal soap powder and then tumbled dried it on a low setting (luckily i have that option at home) but still no good. i have used both the spray and nikwash on other garments but have had never had results like this. i have tried to wipe the stains off with a damp cloth and still they remain. :banghead: i have even tried tried washing in normal soap powder at 40 degrees (the label in the coat says wash at 30 degrees). im at my wits end and i think my wife is about to kill me as the jacket costs a small fortune.
thanks for your suggestions and if any-one can think of anymore i would be more than grateful.
:beerchug: stu

Rod

On a new journey
Stu,

The only other thing would be to contact Nikwax directly. I had a work colleague who washed his £350 Arc'Teryx jacket in Nikwax TX to reproof it, and it came out 'stained'. Nikwax said they could remove the stain by washing in a very weak acid solution :eek: This would have washed out the DWR treatment completely, rendering his jacket pretty much useless :rant:

He did manage to get they to cover the cost of a replacement in the end though - so keep on at them if you try this route.

hope this helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE