Poncho shelters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
single walking pole with a basha is my fav
DSCF0041.jpg

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I should point out that they are just long enough as a shelter.
I'm 5"11 and i often feel the poncho could be 6" longer!

in recent years I've used the MOD basha which is a lot bigger (and no hole in the center), but not the versatility.

You could try one of these. If you actually find the size, I would really like that info.

I dont get it. My tiny 2 man tent takes up just as much room in my bag as a poncho + 2 sticks. Dosnt the side wind knock your socks off at night?

Is it more about sleeping naturally than space saving? The places I camp would have me worried that the mosquito's would have a feast at night!

I agree about it being a bit of a at one with Nature thing. That said it a big thing with lightweight hikers. Your main waterproof is your sleeping cover. It also has an effect on your sleeping kit, because of the Bivi bag.

Another set up - the Alpha Tent.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
used a poncho in the army in some ridiculous conditions and I was always dry and never had any problems with side winds at all. during training its two people to a poncho as well! plenty of space!

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
Being pre 90s (barely), I felt the need to reply.
I slept under a poncho during service many nights. In the summer and winter, during the good and worst weather. Never got wet or blown away.
The poncho i used was the dutch issued model, cut the storage bag of, and knotted 4 shockcord loops on the corners. Setup was alway simple; take 1 piece of cord, or 2 pieces of shockcord (the thick stuff found on bikes), find two trees and take 2 corners to attach to said trees. this make a lean to. I preffered to keep it very low, low profile for weather and foe's.
When available we used the snap buttons/fasteners to double up a lean to, or create a very long uoside down V for 5 ore more.

Pegs were in my backpack, but if i had some spare time i replaced them for wooden ones so I wouldn't have to look for them in the dark/rain.

a bit more complex example:
IMG_0944.JPG

click here for big picture

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE